Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on August 11, 2022, 11:19:16 am

Title: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: David Eckels on August 11, 2022, 11:19:16 am
Treatment? Heavy I know.
Title: Re: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 11, 2022, 11:52:01 am
To my eyes the treatment is quite appropriate,
Good one.
Title: Re: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: degrub on August 11, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
the result looks a little too heavy on the low key areas resulting in halos on the jpg. Ridgeline for example.
are the tones mostly middle with a few high key areas in the clouds ?
i would lift the low key areas a bit to keep some detail and the ridgeline, but not go black.
Title: Re: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: David Eckels on August 11, 2022, 12:20:48 pm
Thanks, Eric
the result looks a little too heavy on the low key areas resulting in halos on the jpg. Ridgeline for example.
are the tones mostly middle with a few high key areas in the clouds ?
i would lift the low key areas a bit to keep some detail and the ridgeline, but not go black.
Yes, I looked at that for quite a while in the three images I captured. I'm not sure it's halos (clarity only 30) but at high mag, there seems to be some light grass areas and some mists in that direction. I would say the image tones range from dark to darker, especially the nearly black juniper trees. The "black" areas are not really black black, having lifted them with a tone curve, but jpeg compression and auto sharpen might crush them. I was trying to bring the mood of the land in line with the mood of the sky, if that makes any sense. But I do appreciate your sharing esthetic concerns, which was what I was after. If I print this, I will certainly have to raise the dark tones significantly. Thanks, degrub.
PS my Rokinon fishe eye is not the best glass, too.
Title: Re: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: David Eckels on August 11, 2022, 12:33:43 pm
degrub, I stand corrected :-[ I went back and looked at the settings for the mask of the land and I had pushed the texture and dehaze sliders, especially the latter, too far. Backing off on that lifted the darks just as you suggested. Thanks!
Title: Re: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: francois on August 12, 2022, 05:36:15 am
I like it a lot, the treatment is fine to my eyes but Degrub has/had a point.
I'm in admiration, I must admit.
Title: Re: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: Bob_B on August 12, 2022, 07:01:50 am
I like your photo a lot, and also think degrub has good ideas about raising the darks; however, I would do so gently and keep them relatively dark, as they add to the moodiness of the photo. Nicely done, David.
Title: Re: VV Monsoon BW
Post by: David Eckels on August 12, 2022, 10:09:06 am
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I think the image is probably right on the cusp of where it needs to be. So any adjustments need to be not to much, not too little, but just right. Because of the way I print, I think it will work out just right.