Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on August 02, 2022, 04:35:30 pm

Title: A Bit of Whimsy
Post by: David Eckels on August 02, 2022, 04:35:30 pm
It wasn't street or landscape entirely, so I put it here in UC  ;)  BTW, only two are worthwhile.
Title: Re: A Bit of Whimsy
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 03, 2022, 06:52:35 pm
I really like the far-right graffiti. You know, the part with blue sky and white clouds.   :D
Title: Re: A Bit of Whimsy
Post by: francois on August 04, 2022, 05:47:36 am
I really like the far-right graffiti. You know, the part with blue sky and white clouds.   :D

I agree with you!
Title: Re: A Bit of Whimsy
Post by: John R on August 04, 2022, 06:19:56 am
What I like about this image is that it has both a dynamic and static quality and still has balance. The eye moves from the pillar and its details to the upper diagonal beams and the lower horizontal shadow, to the sunlight. The clouds, trees and land are layers that carry you right through. But the pillar, shadows and upper beams want to hold you back. A really nice tension. The overall impression is a feeling of looking through a window or passing through a door from the inside to the outside.

What wonderful whimsy...David

JR
Title: Re: A Bit of Whimsy
Post by: David Eckels on August 04, 2022, 09:47:28 am
Thanks much for the comments, gentlemen.
John, you have articulated what I was sensing as I came upon this and began working the scene. I was only conscious of that feeling of looking through a window at the strong contrast in the landscape, but the graffiti- also a strong contrast -kept drawing my eye and I wanted to put these two "contrasts" if you will, together. The beams, also high contrast, as drawing the two sides together had not occurred to me until you said it. Thanks for the feedback, all. Not my usual.