Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Robert Roaldi on July 14, 2022, 06:07:26 pm

Title: Bastille Day
Post by: Robert Roaldi on July 14, 2022, 06:07:26 pm
We drove past the French embassy here in Ottawa today at around noon. Big doings on the grounds, people in formal dress, tents on the lawn. I bet the food and wine were good. I wasn’t invited, again.
Title: Re: Bastille Day
Post by: TechTalk on July 14, 2022, 06:26:31 pm
Thanks for the reminder! I just texted my French friends to wish them a Happy Bastille Day! Vive la France!

I bet the food and wine were very good. I think that would definitely be an invitation to work on for next year.
Title: Re: Bastille Day
Post by: Robert Roaldi on July 14, 2022, 10:11:40 pm
There was a restaurant in Toronto in the 1980s called La Bastille, gone now I'm sure. A group of us went there for dinner on July 14th for 2-3 years running. We seemed to be only ones there who knew the day's significance. The restaurant always had a special tri-colore crême brûlée for dessert, but I never ordered it.
Title: Re: Bastille Day
Post by: Peter McLennan on July 14, 2022, 11:34:05 pm
I had a history teacher in grade 11 who wrote in letters as high as the blackboard would allow, and stretching right across the front of the class, probably twenty feet wide:

JULY 14 1789

Obviously, a sound instructional strategy.
Title: Re: Bastille Day
Post by: Balafre on July 17, 2022, 04:40:54 pm
Liberty, Egality and Fraternity. Values as precious today as they were then, and require our defense more than ever, as they're being encroached upon from within and predated upon from without.

Vive la France !