Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on July 08, 2022, 04:41:24 pm

Title: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 08, 2022, 04:41:24 pm
I was going for a dreamy photo that also captured details of this orchid. I think I got it, but please let me know your suggestions. BTW, this particular orchid is the progeny of a plant I bought in the mid 1990's; guessing around 1993. It may not be the most glamorous orchid on the planet, but I've got to give it credit for its longevity.

Please feel free to C&C.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: francois on July 09, 2022, 02:45:40 am
I think you got it (dreamy look). The colors are subtle and even the composition is simple but elegant.
I like it a lot…
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 09, 2022, 06:22:42 am
Francois, thank you.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: David Eckels on July 09, 2022, 08:30:17 am
Nicely done
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 09, 2022, 09:49:40 am
Thanks, David.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 10, 2022, 09:17:40 am
Here's a second version, using a different set of images and processing steps.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: John R on July 10, 2022, 03:41:08 pm
I like both versions. Well done. The first has a subtle but quite effective background that supports and enhances the main subject. Many of your previous postings had very heavy textures that competed with the main subject. The second is, well... it is just very nice!

JR
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 10, 2022, 04:54:18 pm
... Many of your previous postings had very heavy textures...

Thanks, John. I'm slowly getting the hang of how to use textures and backgrounds effectively; it's not as simple as I first thought.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Mark Nadler on July 11, 2022, 03:44:23 pm
I like the more faded look of the first image with its stronger background.

mark
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 11, 2022, 04:50:54 pm
Thanks, Mark.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 19, 2022, 06:29:44 am
A final version.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: John R on July 19, 2022, 03:11:34 pm
It certainly is quite artistic. But will those neon colours reproduce in print form?

JR
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 19, 2022, 04:55:28 pm
Thanks, John. That's an interesting question, because how the colors are rendered in a print is not in my top three concerns when working on a photograph, probably not even in my top 10. When it comes time to print, I'll have to make concessions for what colors the printer can and cannot print, but I do that for each and every photo I print irrespective of the hues in the digital rendering. (I haven't looked at the out of gamut warning for this photo, so I don't know how badly it'll be rendered by my Canon Pro-100 on Hahnemuhle FAB glossy.) This is just the way I do things; it's neither right nor wrong, just my way. I've made a note to myself to answer this question when I get around to printing this photo, and I'll post what I learn at that time. Again, thanks for your question.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: francois on July 20, 2022, 04:17:05 am
It certainly is quite artistic. But will those neon colours reproduce in print form?

JR

A very valid question! I'd be interested to see it in print.
Title: Re: Miltonia Sunset HiKey
Post by: Bob_B on July 20, 2022, 06:22:49 am
Thanks, Francois. I plan to post printing results.