Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: Dinarius on June 07, 2022, 11:50:11 am
-
Whatever you think about it, the Sony RX100 VII is a benchmark compact camera, and it's now three years old.
Prior to that, we had (I think) annual releases of new models in this range.
Other manufacturers have pretty much done the same - i.e. stopped releasing new cameras.
Is this a Covid-related thing, or has the smart phone supplanted the compact camera? Yes, I know there are issues around RAW and lack of zoom, but...............
Just curious.
D.
-
I think so. At some point I began leaving my Canon SureShot portable zoomer at home and would only use my phone for casual snaps. I enjoyed the SureShot so much I bought a water housing for it for some great material. I don’t think the demise of the compact zoom is related to Covid.
And if you add Bluetooth printing capabilities, the phone can print.
https://instax.com/link_wide/en/
-
Cellphones are still lousy ergonomically. I find them hard to hold and shoot. You can't see the screen in sunlight. The RX100 has both a screen and a viewfinder. The flash is better on the RX100. But the cellphone does provide competition. I don't carry mine (RX100iv) around regularly. But when I go somewhere specifically knowing I'm taking photos, then the camera is better and comes with me. Since it fits in my pocket, it's not much of a problem.
-
Yes.