Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 28, 2022, 03:07:58 pm

Title: The Final View
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 28, 2022, 03:07:58 pm
...

Dave
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: RMW on February 28, 2022, 04:40:06 pm
Fine image.
Glad to see photography as historical record among many things.
Thanks,
Dave
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 28, 2022, 05:03:10 pm
That is a powerful image, well done.
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 28, 2022, 05:47:42 pm
I have lived on this island for more than ten years now, and have shot this graveyard that surrounds this tumbled down church, many, many times. But until recently, I never thought to look between these trees at the opposite side of the old church, to see what was there. until recently that is.

Bill Brandt also spent time in this graveyard on Skye in 1947 and took this image (https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/78039006014063711/) and so I suppose he didn't find it either, or I am sure he would have shot it before I got the chance and made it famous - and I do believe from the dates on the stone, that it was actually there and in this location at the time Bill was photographing here and very close to where he took his shot (you can even see the same hill in the background).

So perhaps it is 0 to Bill and 1 to Dave methinks  :)

Thanks guys for your comments.

Dave
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 01, 2022, 10:43:04 am
You definitely win over Bill on this one.
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: kers on March 01, 2022, 11:51:20 am
very fine photo!
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 02, 2022, 05:55:11 am
Fine image.
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 03, 2022, 10:44:58 am
Thanks again  ;)

I am really going to struggle for the next six weeks, as my camera (A7RII) just developed a major problem with the shutter curtain sticking shut and the camera going into a sort of meltdown ERROR mode. Which I have now found out on the internet, is quite a common problem with ALL Sony mirrorless cameras it seems.

Oh and of course it started doing it on the very first day I was there, of a five day shoot right across the Cairngorms - aarrgghh!!!

But at least I was still able to continue to limp along with it, by first giving it a bash that was hard enough to release the curtain and then putting the camera into 'Silent Shutter Mode', which is very restricting and also drops the quality down somewhat, but at least I could still keep going, because in this mode, it doesn't use the curtain at all.

Anyhoo, it is now going off for repair down to the South of the UK, even though I am now being told it could take anywhere up to 6 whole weeks before it is sent back to me repaired, because they will have to dismantle it into tiny pieces to look at it and then order the replacement parts, clean it and reassemble it - aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

Goodness me, I am already starting to suffer from withdrawal symptoms...  :(

Dave
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 03, 2022, 05:52:19 pm
Good luck, Dave.

I hope the surgeon who will work on your camera isn't planning any vacations in the near future.
Title: Re: The Final View
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 04, 2022, 08:02:33 am
Good luck, Dave.

I hope the surgeon who will work on your camera isn't planning any vacations in the near future.

Thanks Eric for your concern  ;)

You know, I think by the time my precious baby/camera is delivered back to me, I might have to break out the cigars...  ;D

Dave