Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Pro Business Discussion => Topic started by: joeclarkx on February 08, 2022, 04:23:11 am

Title: Architectural photography - licencing for a developer
Post by: joeclarkx on February 08, 2022, 04:23:11 am
Looking for feedback on an estimate I am putting together for a developer.

I have a shoot fee and a per-image post-production fee and I normally include company social media and website etc as bundled licencing options.

What I am unsure about is the developer's request for "property listing websites".

Should I charge an additional fee for this? Should I distinguish between a 'normal' listing and display advertising or advertorial type content? What kind of percentage would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Title: Re: Architectural photography - licencing for a developer
Post by: David Eichler on February 08, 2022, 04:53:27 pm
Looking for feedback on an estimate I am putting together for a developer.

I have a shoot fee and a per-image post-production fee and I normally include company social media and website etc as bundled licencing options.

What I am unsure about is the developer's request for "property listing websites".

Should I charge an additional fee for this? Should I distinguish between a 'normal' listing and display advertising or advertorial type content? What kind of percentage would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
If the usage here is for marketing a property or properties for sale or lease, rather than to market a developer's services as a builder (or in addition to doing that), then the usage here falls under real estate marketing. Usually, this sort of usage entails all media, worldwide, for a specified period of time. You should also specify whether the usage applies to a single property or to multiple properties and ascertain whether the client also wants to use the photos to promote their business. If this is a local builder selling individual spec homes, it really isn't different from dealing with a real estate agent. If this is a large developer, then it is somewhat different, especially if they want to use the photos to market multiple properties and also to promote their business.
Title: Re: Architectural photography - licencing for a developer
Post by: Alan Klein on February 21, 2022, 09:36:28 am
I notice that the pictures on Zillow for the house I bought 8 years ago are still there.  They were taken by the homeowner I bought the house from.  Do these pictures ever go away?  Does Zillow own these?  I believe the pictures are on other real estate websites.
Title: Re: Architectural photography - licencing for a developer
Post by: digitaldog on February 23, 2022, 03:19:46 pm
I notice that the pictures on Zillow for the house I bought 8 years ago are still there.  They were taken by the homeowner I bought the house from.  Do these pictures ever go away?  Does Zillow own these?  I believe the pictures are on other real estate websites.
That house is on Google and Apple maps too.
Of course, you should worry.  ;)
Title: Re: Architectural photography - licencing for a developer
Post by: digitaldog on February 23, 2022, 03:22:12 pm
Should I charge an additional fee for this? Should I distinguish between a 'normal' listing and display advertising or advertorial type content? What kind of percentage would you recommend?
I'd suggest yes to the first question but in terms of the 2nd, you might want to consider asking your local (closest) ASMP rep; a reason why such organizations are critical to photographers.