Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jonathan Cross on February 03, 2022, 11:54:47 am

Title: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Jonathan Cross on February 03, 2022, 11:54:47 am
My Canon 9500Mk2 printer died and I now have a Canon Pro-300 (thanks to advice in another post).  I still have a nearly full box of A3+ Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and looked for a profile.  The Ilford website does not list one and they do not seem to do custom profiles.  Their website suggests using Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy as the media.  I asked their support people about a profile.  They replied that Gold Fibre Silk was discontinued before the Pro-300 printer was introduced, so there is not a profile.  They suggested trying the profile for Canon Baryta Photo Paper which is listed for the printer.  They also suggested checking the look by soft proofing before printing.

Has anyone got any other suggestions based on experience before I start testing?

Thanks,

Jonathan

 
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: mcbroomf on February 03, 2022, 12:11:40 pm
I'd suggest getting a custom profile made.
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on February 04, 2022, 10:28:42 am
If you want to get the best out of your new printer (congratulations BTW) it would be worth investing in ColorMunki Photo (as was) but now called a Calibrite ColorChecker Studio.  With this you will be able to profile any paper you like to try.

I own a ColorMunki Photo and have found it indispensable for producing profiles for my printers and a host of papers over the years.  It's very easy to use and produces very good profiles.  In addition you can profile your monitor; as well profile a scanner and projector if you have them.

You can find more information here:
Calibrite ColorChecker Studio (https://calibrite.com/product/colorchecker-studio/)

Disclaimer:  I do not work for, or have any associations with, Calibrite or X-Rite.
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Rand47 on February 04, 2022, 04:00:58 pm
Ilford GFS profile for Pro 300 here:

https://ilford.com/printer-profiles-paper-settings/

Rand
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Jonathan Cross on February 04, 2022, 05:43:31 pm
Ilford GFS profile for Pro 300 here:

https://ilford.com/printer-profiles-paper-settings/


I am in the UK. When I loaded this link, entered the paper group and printer, Gold Fibre Silk was not listed.  Gold Fibre Gloss, Rag and Pearl all were but not GFS.  I tried a second time and again it was not there.  I wrote a reply to your post and just before posting I tried a 3rd time and it was listed!!!  One of life's mysteries!!

 I now have it downloaded and available in both LR Classic and the Canon Professional Print and Layout plug in.

Thanks very much.

Jonathan

Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Rand47 on February 04, 2022, 06:32:56 pm
I am in the UK. When I loaded this link, entered the paper group and printer, Gold Fibre Silk was not listed.  Gold Fibre Gloss, Rag and Pearl all were but not GFS.  I tried a second time and again it was not there.  I wrote a reply to your post and just before posting I tried a 3rd time and it was listed!!!  One of life's mysteries!!

 I now have it downloaded and available in both LR Classic and the Canon Professional Print and Layout plug in.

Thanks very much.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

You’re very welcome.  Glad you were able to download it!

Rand
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: hubell on February 21, 2022, 03:22:18 pm
There is apparently no Gold Fiber Silk profile available for the 9500/7500 printers.
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Rand47 on February 21, 2022, 04:20:17 pm
There is apparently no Gold Fiber Silk profile available for the 9500/7500 printers.
[/]

I may have one.  I’ll look tomorrow.  In the meantime, Epson Legacy Baryta is pretty much a twin, as is Canson Baryta Photographique.

Rand
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: hubell on February 21, 2022, 05:40:57 pm
There is apparently no Gold Fiber Silk profile available for the 9500/7500 printers.
[/]

I may have one.  I’ll look tomorrow.  In the meantime, Epson Legacy Baryta is pretty much a twin, as is Canson Baryta Photographique.

Rand

Thanks, Rand. I thought about using the Epson Legacy Baryta, as the profile for it is in the EMI. Canson no longer has a profile for the old version of its Baryta Photographique. All of the original versions of these Baryta papers were discontinued for some reason, but I have some leftover stock in a 36" roll.  IT Supplies is also selling a paper titled "Simply Elegant Gold Fiber 310" that is supposedly the exact same as the original Ilford Gold Fiber Silk. 
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: hubell on February 23, 2022, 10:35:01 am
An FYI about Simply Elegant Gold Fiber 310. Perhaps it was at one time the same paper as Ilford Gold Fiber Silk but under a different name, as many were led to believe by IT Supplies itself. However, the Simply Elegant Gold Fiber 310 is NOT the same paper as IFGFS. The surface is quite different, much more of a gloss-type finish.
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Mick Sang on February 23, 2022, 08:57:18 pm
Quote
However, the Simply Elegant Gold Fiber 310 is NOT the same paper as IFGFS. The surface is quite different, much more of a gloss-type finish

Strange. Perhaps the batch has changed from IT Supplies versus that from which the sheets that I have were taken. I have a box of Simply Elegant GF and IGFS at my home studio and I just tried to see a difference. I see no difference at all in weight, gloss, colour, texture or thickness. Also custom ICC profiles of each are virtually interchangeable. The only difference I have seen between them is perhaps slightly deeper reds for the IGFS.

Mick
Title: Re: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 25, 2022, 04:19:13 am
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=133448.0

The original IGFS has long gone.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst