Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: SureShot on February 03, 2022, 02:38:20 am

Title: My idea for a flexible, efficient film scanning setup. Could use help/advice.
Post by: SureShot on February 03, 2022, 02:38:20 am
I have the parts for a Polaroid MP-4 copy stand besides the column and baseboard.

The stand can mount the Polaroid MP4 4x5 Land Camera or any typical camera body with the Universal Adapter. It also had a standard enlarger attachment but I know of someone who can adapt many enlargers to mount on it. Whatever is mounted can be rotated on every axis, possibly for horizontal projection for very large prints.

(https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2018/7/30/d/4/f/d4f96a60-63e0-4031-a1e3-3df342c0d5f6.jpg)

Standard 4x5 backs can be mounted to the Polaroid Land camera with bellows and lens board. I would like to get a scanning back, such as BetterLight, Phase One etc. to use with the set of Tominon lenses designed for the MP-4. (https://www.closeuphotography.com/tominon-35mm) and achieve similar results to high end dedicated film scanners on a system that can do more than scan film. In the meantime I can always use a Bayer camera adapted to the lenses for faster, usable scans.

For film holder/transport I am adapting the Beseler Negatrans, instead of the $300 Negative Supply carrier, to a raised platform above the Negative Supply 4x5 99 CRI light source. I could even motorize the Negatrans and sync it to an IR sensor to auto index frames if I'm really keen.

In summary a system that can be a regular copy stand, up to 8x10 enlarger for giant wall projected prints and high end line scanner for film or anything else. In one package. Or so I hope. Ideally, I'd like to provide high quality scans and large traditional prints as a service.

Tell me what you think I've missed or could do better with this arrangement. I especially need help finding the components, they're pretty scarce and expensive. It could take me a few years. My current priority is getting it functional for scanning negatives. Right now what I need most are the MP4 baseboard, column and universal camera mount. I appreciate any help finding those outside of ebay.

Thanks for reading and I will update if I make progress.