Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: shadowblade on February 01, 2022, 07:19:48 am

Title: Maddens Falls
Post by: shadowblade on February 01, 2022, 07:19:48 am
Maddens Falls, near Wollongong, in full flood, after several days of rain. In normal times, it's possible to walk to the lower level; at full force, it would be risky.

Sony A7r3 with 24-70mm f/2.8 GM. 38mm. f/10, ISO 50. 5 stacked and averaged exposures at 1/15s, for total exposure time of 1/3s.
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: shadowblade on February 01, 2022, 07:24:46 am
To colour correct for the late afternoon warmth or not? Fully or partially?
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: degrub on February 01, 2022, 09:25:29 am
it has serenity with the current lighting.
To remove that would make it harsh, i think.
i know you like the saturated, hdrish look, so post both ?
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: shadowblade on February 01, 2022, 09:51:21 am
it has serenity with the current lighting.
To remove that would make it harsh, i think.
i know you like the saturated, hdrish look, so post both ?

At the moment, I'm just wondering if it looks a little too yellowish.
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 01, 2022, 01:48:29 pm
I like it as it is, but I wouldn't mind seeing some variants, too.
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: Wolfman on February 01, 2022, 04:03:54 pm
I would say that the water is maybe a little too warm. If you are wondering then it's probably too yellow in your estimation.
I would bring down the warmth slightly.
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: shadowblade on February 02, 2022, 07:30:45 am
Cooler version.
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: shadowblade on February 02, 2022, 07:32:15 am
And halfway in-between.
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: francois on February 02, 2022, 07:48:23 am
I like it as it is, but I wouldn't mind seeing some variants, too.

Choice is always good…

Edit: I would vote for the half-way version…
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 02, 2022, 12:42:49 pm
Great photo. Could be the color in the water is due to it carrying sediments?
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: MattBurt on February 02, 2022, 04:49:22 pm
Beautiful scene and a nice capture. Is the water colored from tannins? I've seen that here in the USA in some places where lots of bio matter dyes the water. 
Title: Re: Maddens Falls
Post by: shadowblade on February 02, 2022, 06:48:08 pm
Beautiful scene and a nice capture. Is the water colored from tannins? I've seen that here in the USA in some places where lots of bio matter dyes the water.

Yep, and sediment dredged up by the flow.

At normal flow levels, it's actually three small, distinct waterfalls.