Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Black & White => Topic started by: JerrySutherlin_5 on January 30, 2022, 09:11:36 pm
-
I am looking for information on using Moab Desert Varnish and dry mounting the prints afterwards. I have written Moab with no answer so far. I am mainly concerned if the heat from the mount press will have any affect on the sprayed print.
-
I flatten the sprayed prints in my drymount press all the time never had an issue, however I prefer to spray the prints after they are mounted or flattened . But I’ve never seen any damage to the surface from spraying first.
I am looking for information on using Moab Desert Varnish and dry mounting the prints afterwards. I have written Moab with no answer so far. I am mainly concerned if the heat from the mount press will have any affect on the sprayed print.
-
I am looking for information on using Moab Desert Varnish and dry mounting the prints afterwards. I have written Moab with no answer so far. I am mainly concerned if the heat from the mount press will have any affect on the sprayed print.
Assuming your dry mounting procedure is dialed-in for proper time and temperature in the press, you shouldn't have any problems.
-
Moab varnish is an acrylic resin. It should be fine at typical dry mounting temperatures, but I'd test it on a scrap print first.
That said, although heat activated tissues have a proven history with traditional silver gelatin prints, I really can't recommend them for inkjet media. Even the "archival" ones appear to use tackifiers containing phenol compounds to improve adhesion. Combined with the higher alkalinity of inkjet coatings and NOx in the air from fossil fuel burning, and phenolic yellowing can then occur. I haven't published much on the subject, but it's easy to induce with a variety of dry mount tissues and many popular inkjet papers on the market today. For a brief introduction to the phenolic yellowing problem, see:
Aardenburg Framing Article discussion on dry mount tissues and Phenolic yellowing on page 33. (https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Aardenburg-Imaging-Adhesive-Free-Picture-Framing-Technique.pdf)
kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com