Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Michael West on January 20, 2022, 11:27:56 pm

Title: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: Michael West on January 20, 2022, 11:27:56 pm
some apparently from Norway one form New York.

found in an alley In Northern California.  in 2010

Title: Re: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: John R on January 21, 2022, 01:15:11 am
some apparently from Norway one form New York.

found in an alley In Northern California.  in 2010
I'm pretty sure, when I am gone, that's what's going to happen to my collection of slides. So we have to make the best of it while we are here and not worry about it too much.

JR

Title: Re: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: francois on January 21, 2022, 07:51:33 am
A treasure for some and worth nothing for others…
Title: Re: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: David Eckels on January 21, 2022, 08:59:21 am
Poignant
Title: Re: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 21, 2022, 09:03:14 am
Could be my ancestors in one of them. My father came from Norway.
Title: Re: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: Michael West on January 21, 2022, 01:22:02 pm
Could be my ancestors in one of them. My father came from Norway.

after reviewing the image from a sociological pov...it saddens me that I didnt take the initiative to retrieve these treasures from the pavement and make some sort of effort to try to connect with any relatives or friends of the "owner"

Title: Re: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: John R on January 22, 2022, 03:06:12 pm
after reviewing the image from a sociological pov...it saddens me that I didnt take the initiative to retrieve these treasures from the pavement and make some sort of effort to try to connect with any relatives or friends of the "owner"
I recall reading a human interest story coming out of -I think the New York Times- where one of the journalists found a whole box of slides and a reel with hundreds of slides on the sidewalk curb. Most were in good shape. After viewing the slides the journalist approached the editor and a decision was made to pursue the story and find the owner. The owner lost his lifetime companion to cancer and threw out all the slides not wanting to be reminded. It was quite tragic. The slides were set aside on the curb as garbage. So careful what you ask for.

JR
Title: Re: Ever so many Photos from the Past
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 22, 2022, 03:15:49 pm
I'm pretty sure, when I am gone, that's what's going to happen to my collection of slides. So we have to make the best of it while we are here and not worry about it too much.

JR

Yup.  Mine, too.  Thousands of them.  And prints, too. Meaningless to nearly anyone but me.
 
So, your advice to "make the best of it while you can" is spot on.

I've come to the the idea that, with the artist, it's the doing that counts, not the result.