Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: NeilPrintArt on January 17, 2022, 05:06:57 am

Title: scanner glass
Post by: NeilPrintArt on January 17, 2022, 05:06:57 am
I know that this is not really the right place for this question, but I have tried several other places and no one seems to be able to answer this question....

I have an older model flatbed scanner (Epson Expression 1640XL) which still works great but the glass on the bed is scratched. I am wanting to replace the glass. Can some kind soul let me know what kind of glass I would need to use? Is there some kind of special glass or can i just get a piece of tempered glass cut to size?

Any suggestions or comments or info greatly appreciated!
Title: Re: scanner glass
Post by: MichaelKoerner on January 17, 2022, 06:10:03 am
I would use Artglass AR70 from Groglass - highly transparent, no colour when viewed from the front (as a scanner does), not extremely expensive. A decent framer should be able to provide you with that kind of glass, here in Austria there are even hardware stores selling it.

This link (https://cacaoeditions.com/anti-reflection-picture-framing-glass/#more-405) provides more information on this (and other) high end glasses.
Title: Re: scanner glass
Post by: degrub on January 17, 2022, 08:59:02 am
is it possibly optical grade acrylic (Plexiglas (tm)) instead of "glass" ?
the refractive index, thickness,  and colour shifting properties would have to match the original.
Perhaps Epson would identify the type if they don't stock it anymore.
Title: Re: scanner glass
Post by: John Nollendorfs on January 17, 2022, 02:04:56 pm
Would not recommend Plexiglass, since it is very susceptable to scratching. The scanner software should neutralize any small differences in color from the original glass.
Title: Re: scanner glass
Post by: NeilPrintArt on January 18, 2022, 12:04:34 pm
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated

@MichaelKoerner - thanks for the great lead , I have found a Groglass source here in South Africa, but I need to do more research because from I understand that glass is not 'toughened' and might possibly crack or even break with use

With regards Plexiglass, I'm not an expert but fairly sure the original part is glass. It is a old model and Epson are being spectacularly unhelpful but I will keep trying to see if I can find the specs somewhere

The scanner software should neutralize any small differences in color from the original glass.
- this was my thought as well,. especially seeing as that I use a it8 target to create a scanning profile and hopefully that will neutralize any colour cast?

Thanks again
 
Title: Re: scanner glass
Post by: kers on January 18, 2022, 12:16:27 pm
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated

@MichaelKoerner - thanks for the great lead , I have found a Groglass source here in South Africa, but I need to do more research because from I understand that glass is not 'toughened' and might possibly crack or even break with use

...
Thanks again

Do you scan stones? otherwise no glass will crack...
Title: Re: scanner glass
Post by: chez on January 18, 2022, 02:30:04 pm
Why not just as Epson what glass they recommend rather than relying on people who are not experts here.
Title: Re: scanner glass
Post by: ALEXISGraphic on January 24, 2022, 05:05:23 am
Well, Epson doesn't make glass and they wouldn't recommend a part that was not intended to be replaced, especially for an EOL product.

I don't know how easily you can change it, but for our Screen Cezanne Elite scanners, we had great success with Non Glare Acrylite P99(recommended to us by Michael, from ScanSolutionsOnline)

You might want to try using Gamsol(Lumina) or even high viscosity  minerail oi(much harder to clean) directly on the bed, a few drops above the film and cover with AZ42 Mylar (Kami in Europe, Aztek in the US). You will find it works wonder in filling in fine scratches on the glass or on the film(non emulsion side)