Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on January 07, 2022, 02:26:42 pm

Title: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: Chris Calohan on January 07, 2022, 02:26:42 pm
I spent about a week working through some of the TK8 (Tony Kuyper) panels using Dave Kelly’s youtube tutorials. This is image was a step by step of “Finding the Right Light.” I did do some modifications after the guidelines to strengthen the foreground separation of the low grasses to the higher ones and tweaked the rain area a bit more for better contrast. I also used one of his other tutorials on Orton sharpening but I find the end result to be overly dark, so I lowered the opacity on the dark Orton mask.

I've included the original SOOC image.
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 07, 2022, 03:55:21 pm
Great work, Chris.  Very generous of you to share the before and after. Thank you. Most instructive and most appealing.
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 07, 2022, 04:29:42 pm
I completely agree with Peter.
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: degrub on January 07, 2022, 07:20:12 pm
the second is sublime.
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: Bob_B on January 08, 2022, 06:33:06 am
the second is sublime.

Exactly my thought; nicely done.
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: nirpat89 on January 08, 2022, 08:32:18 am
The second is the untouched one, I presume. 
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: Chris Calohan on January 08, 2022, 10:53:26 am
The second is the untouched one, I presume.

You assume correctly.
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 11, 2022, 06:47:24 am
Punchier or milder, different interpretations. When I click to zoom in on #1, it looks over sharpened, but I like the tonality.
Title: Re: Late Afternoon Shower
Post by: Cornfield on January 22, 2022, 11:58:51 am
Looks a bit crunchy to me.  Overdone in the processing with lots of halos.