Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on December 04, 2021, 11:00:24 am

Title: SC Magnolia
Post by: David Eckels on December 04, 2021, 11:00:24 am
C&C welcome, of course
MODIFIED 120521 according to John's suggestion below
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 04, 2021, 11:05:08 am
It makes a terrific abstract, David. Bravo!
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: David Eckels on December 04, 2021, 12:12:47 pm
👍🏻 Thanks, Eric.
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: John R on December 04, 2021, 09:03:13 pm
It's a good bw treatment. High contrast allows a pattern of lights and darks to emerge. MY suggestion to improve it would be to try darken that one very bright area near the top one third. To me it looks more like a white-out area that interferes with the black and white pattern.

JR
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: David Eckels on December 05, 2021, 08:26:31 am
It's a good bw treatment. High contrast allows a pattern of lights and darks to emerge. MY suggestion to improve it would be to try darken that one very bright area near the top one third. To me it looks more like a white-out area that interferes with the black and white pattern.

JR
Thanks for the suggestion, John. I thought about that after I'd posted it. I agree it is sort of a distraction.
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: francois on December 07, 2021, 10:41:38 am
I love the idea and the toning/treatment… It's a winner!
Well seen.
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: David Eckels on December 07, 2021, 11:09:23 am
Thanks, Francois. There is a blue tone in the darks and orange tone in the highlights, very subtle, but can you see them?
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: francois on December 08, 2021, 07:26:30 am
Thanks, Francois. There is a blue tone in the darks and orange tone in the highlights, very subtle, but can you see them?

David,
I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't see those blue and orange tones. I'm not on my "photo" display at the moment and it might be the issue (or my eyes are worse than I thought)!
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: John R on December 08, 2021, 07:34:01 am
David,
I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't see those blue and orange tones. I'm not on my "photo" display at the moment and it might be the issue (or my eyes are worse than I thought)!
Same here, I do not see any blue or orange. But if it's subtle, that's to be expected on the internet. I do like it better. I focus more on the leaves and the pattern of lights and shadows.

JR
Title: Re: SC Magnolia
Post by: David Eckels on December 08, 2021, 07:59:40 am
Thanks Francois and John. Those tones were meant to be very subtle so I am happy you both like the grey tones of the image.