Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: na goodman on December 03, 2021, 09:17:32 am

Title: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: na goodman on December 03, 2021, 09:17:32 am
Long time since a post but I really need some help if it's out there. I set up a new M1 iMac yesterday. Everything went well except for I can't get the Epson 3880 to print. I've updated the driver, removed all Epson folders and re added them. Followed all trouble shooting procedures and sequences but still not printing. I did get rid of "filter failure" error. Now, printer says it is "ready to print" but does not. Printer is connected usbc to usb by an adapter. Printer is recognized as a device on system information. As I said, I have reset printing system, dumped all Epson folders and re added the printer. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: digitaldog on December 03, 2021, 12:29:30 pm
All fine on my Intel Mac running the latest driver and OS. Ping Epson and ask about M1.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: na goodman on December 03, 2021, 12:38:02 pm
Ok, thank you that was going to be my next step but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thank you for responding.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: na goodman on December 06, 2021, 02:52:47 pm
I just thought I would update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. The 3880 is printing under Monterey on new iMac with M1 chip but has to be connected through ethernet. Apparently it doesn't like the USBc adapter to USB. At least it's printing, client happy.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: BAB on December 07, 2021, 09:49:11 pm
Ethernet cable for sure and you must go into printer on your Mac reset all printers and rediscover new printers you can use Bonjour it works fine after doing that the Epson Fnging software will recognize your printer and print immediately.

Call Epson they will lead you to the same step after taking you through ten other steps first…
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: Suzi on December 08, 2021, 12:56:37 pm
Oh here's the discussion I was looking for, great! Hmm, ethernet, wouldn't that also have to go through an adaptor with the new M1 macbook? But maybe it's just the USBa>USBc that's the problem? Or maybe a USBb-USBc cable might work, hmm. This is a ridiculous problem. Glad there might be a work around though!
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: digitaldog on December 08, 2021, 12:58:57 pm
Oh here's the discussion I was looking for, great! Hmm, ethernet, wouldn't that also have to go through an adaptor with the new M1 macbook? But maybe it's just the USBa>USBc that's the problem? Or maybe a USBb-USBc cable might work, hmm. This is a ridiculous problem. Glad there might be a work around though!
Not running an M1 but a MBP without direct Ethernet; no issues using an external hub what supports it.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: Suzi on December 10, 2021, 07:11:11 pm
Hi all, solved my printer issues! It looks like the trouble was indeed the USBc converter - I bought a direct to USBc printer cable and it worked right away!

(I also solved my ridiculous computer crashing issue related to the driver by removing all the kernel extensions I had because one of them clearly had gremlins and the driver was poling them all for some reason)
Title: Re: Epson 3880 and Monterey
Post by: langier on December 11, 2021, 05:08:58 pm
Thought I had a similar problem with a 3880 hooked to an iMac M1 under Big Sur using a USB-C to B cable. Then I realized I didn't plug the cable into the back of the printer... Now it works fine. I'll let the bugs get ironed out a little bit more before upgrading to Monterey.