Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: James Clark on November 23, 2021, 04:13:19 pm

Title: 1, 2, 3
Post by: James Clark on November 23, 2021, 04:13:19 pm
Negative space.
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 23, 2021, 05:34:52 pm
I love it!

You didn't pay them to pose like this?
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: James Clark on November 23, 2021, 07:58:53 pm
I love it!

You didn't pay them to pose like this?

Nope - I just saw them all walking down the beach like that.
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: armand on November 23, 2021, 09:31:26 pm
Excellent!
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: John R on November 23, 2021, 10:37:33 pm
Excellent!
Indeed!
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on November 24, 2021, 07:33:34 am
Love it.
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: nirpat89 on November 24, 2021, 11:21:36 am
Very nice. What a perfect composition!

:Niranjan.
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: francois on November 24, 2021, 11:42:01 am
I can only echoe the previous praises… Bravo!
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 24, 2021, 12:01:42 pm
Good seeing.
Title: Re: 1, 2, 3
Post by: James Clark on November 24, 2021, 12:47:30 pm
Really appreciate it!  This was one of those where I didn't quite know what I had at first. It's one of about 10 late-afternoon images I shot from above a beach in Del Mar, CA (San Diego area) last weekend while I was killing time before an evening shoot for a client.  The beach was pretty crowded and I was just looking for patterns in the viewfinder.  These folks were isolated on a specific part of the beach, and the surfboard and reflection caught my attention, but it wasn't until I zoomed in more closely that I saw the way the groups of people lined up, then I had to manage the composition in-frame while I was working around some other people walking nearby. 

The subject in a corner against contextual negative space is one of my favorite compositional forms, and it was a natural fit here :)

Incidentally, this was with Canon's new 100-400 5.6-8 on an R5.  It's a tremendous little piece of equipment for travel.  Super light, cheap, and the focal range and quality is awesome.  As you can see, the corners held up great even with strong value differentials and contrasty edges.  I'm impressed.