Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mfrohman on November 15, 2021, 06:31:51 pm

Title: Using z3200 spectrophotometer to make profile for Canon printer
Post by: mfrohman on November 15, 2021, 06:31:51 pm
Is the process for using the z3200's spectrophotometer to make a 1728 profile for another printer the same as for the z3200?

For example, I've just purchased a Canon 4100. If I want to make a profile for Epson Somerset Velvet are these the correct steps?

1. use HP utility to export .tifs of the 1728 color patches
2. print patches on Canon (with color management turned off)
3. load printed patches from Canon into z3200
4. use HP utility to read patches and create profile (as explained here: http://z3200.com/Making_Profiles_For_HP-Z3200_Printers.htm)

Just want to make sure this is the general workflow and that my thinking is correct that I'll be able to make accurate profiles for the Canon using the Z. Also deciding whether it will be easier (though somewhat wasteful) to use my 44" rolls to print all the patches or if using 24" rolls would be easier. Somerset velvet doesn't come in sheets.

thank you!
Title: Re: Using z3200 spectrophotometer to make profile for Canon printer
Post by: digitaldog on November 15, 2021, 06:38:05 pm
Never used that built in spectro. But IF you can scan and save out a CGATs file, no issue.
Title: Re: Using z3200 spectrophotometer to make profile for Canon printer
Post by: Mark Lindquist on November 16, 2021, 05:26:24 pm
Is the process for using the z3200's spectrophotometer to make a 1728 profile for another printer the same as for the z3200?

For example, I've just purchased a Canon 4100. If I want to make a profile for Epson Somerset Velvet are these the correct steps?

1. use HP utility to export .tifs of the 1728 color patches
2. print patches on Canon (with color management turned off)
3. load printed patches from Canon into z3200
4. use HP utility to read patches and create profile (as explained here: http://z3200.com/Making_Profiles_For_HP-Z3200_Printers.htm)

Just want to make sure this is the general workflow and that my thinking is correct that I'll be able to make accurate profiles for the Canon using the Z. Also deciding whether it will be easier (though somewhat wasteful) to use my 44" rolls to print all the patches or if using 24" rolls would be easier. Somerset velvet doesn't come in sheets.

thank you!

Yep - that's the way to do it. 44" rolls are fine - the Z prints all the way across the page. 24" would be easier to load, since you will be loading a cut sheet to be scanned. Either way, remember, it's not for the feint of heart. I find that the Windows Utility works best. You might have luck with the Mac Utility, but hard to say these days.

Best -

Mark
Title: Re: Using z3200 spectrophotometer to make profile for Canon printer
Post by: mfrohman on November 16, 2021, 06:11:30 pm
Thanks Mark and digitaldog, I'm gonna give it a shot in the next few days. Hopefully the Mac utility works, I gave up on running a paralells window system some time ago. I'll report back with success/failure