Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: conradfxt on January 03, 2007, 05:06:36 am
-
In the market for new printer and read Michael's reviews re. Canon 5000, HP 9180, Epson 4800 and 3800. However in reviewing the Epson 3800 Michael refers only to the Canon 5000 and the Epson 4800 and 3800 as products currently on the market. Is the HP 9180 being phased out? Is not the HP 9180 about half the cost for the new Epson 3800 and both can print 13x19 with pigment inks? Conrad
-
In the market for new printer and read Michael's reviews re. Canon 5000, HP 9180, Epson 4800 and 3800. However in reviewing the Epson 3800 Michael refers only to the Canon 5000 and the Epson 4800 and 3800 as products currently on the market. Is the HP 9180 being phased out? Is not the HP 9180 about half the cost for the new Epson 3800 and both can print 13x19 with pigment inks? Conrad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I know at least one "normal" person who has a 9180, because I profiled it. So it's definitely on the market. It does 13x18. Whether it's selling is anybodies' guess.
Let's face it, Epson now owns the medium-format fine art market, everyone else is playing catch up, alhtough the competing products are technically very good.
Edmund
-
The 9180 is only a 13" printer while the others noted are 17" printers - a very big difference - not in the same class at all. I assume that is what he is talking about...
-
Exactly. That's why it wasn't included.
Michael
-
[
Let's face it, Epson now owns the medium-format fine art market, everyone else is playing catch up, alhtough the competing products are technically very good.
Edmund
Edmund,
I'm not sure about that any more. With new reports I am getting about the HP Z series printers, there may be a game of leap frog going on.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au
-
What Brian said.
I own Epson (2400, 4800), HP (9180, z3100), and Canon (ipf5000) at the moment. I have not turned on the Epson since I got the HP and Canons, so for me the Epsons are #3 right now and are the ones that will have to play catchup...
-
Thanks for pointing out the page size differences - really missed that info clearly stated in the reviews. Conrad
-
What Brian said.
I own Epson (2400, 4800), HP (9180, z3100), and Canon (ipf5000) at the moment. I have not turned on the Epson since I got the HP and Canons, so for me the Epsons are #3 right now and are the ones that will have to play catchup...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93526\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So........... why not sell the Epson 2400 / 4800 and even the HP9180? Why keep them as "art work" Also, I'm curious, did you just recently have a need for a 24" printer? It seems like a lot of people interested in the Z3100 currently own a larger Epson (i.e. 7800, 9800 etc.). What type of cameras are you using?
[/quote]
I just took delivery of a 24" z3100 on Friday. They are shipping the 44" model too (in the USA). I also have the Canon ipf5000 and Epson 4800 (although I just sold it). I'm going to be selling the Canon too.[/quote]
Did not originally see this post from December 30th, 2006, so I guess when you posted on Jan 3rd you didn't actually own the Epson anymore and is the reason why you haven't turned it on?
Right now, as of today Epson is NOT playing catch-up, they are leading the field by a long-shot (sales of photo printers, pro-level) that's not to say that within a year Canon and or HP wont take the lead, but it generally takes some time. Both HP and Canon are just starting to get into the archival photo printing arena and it will take awhile before they take over the head of the class if ever. I doubt Epson is sitting around doing nothing. 2007 should be an interesting year.
Gary
-
Gary:
Yup, I'm selling the 4800, but keeping the 2400 and 9180 to use when I travel to the workshops that I teach (I like to have a backup). I just sold the Canon ipf5000 yesterday. I print a variety of sizes from 13x19 up to 24x36. I also just sold an HP 130 that I had been using for my 24" prints for the past couple of years.
If the catch-up comment was strictly about sales, well I don't really have a clue or care. My main concern is with image quality and user experience, and right now for my money Epson is last on my list - and that is after my own experiences with Epson, Canon and HP. Epson has a ways to go to catch up with HP for my needs...
By the way, I have owned as many as six or seven printers at the same time and never considered any of them "art works" - what does that mean anyway? I enjoy getting first-hand experience with a variety of equipment - that is really the only way to tell what is right for me. Sometimes my work requires the use of two or three printers at the same time anyway (business is good out here in the middle of the wilderness where I live). There aren't any dealers in my state that carry any of these types of printers - in fact none within 5-6 hour drive if that, so I don't have the opportunity to go look at samples. Plus I just love to open all those new boxes! I'm sure I'll get the next Epson when they upgrade their line, but for now their technology is at least two years old and I prefer to keep up with the times...
Tim Ernst in Arkansas
www.Cloudland.net
-
If the catch-up comment was strictly about sales, well I don't really have a clue or care. My main concern is with image quality and user experience, and right now for my money Epson is last on my list - and that is after my own experiences with Epson, Canon and HP. Epson has a ways to go to catch up with HP for my needs...
Hi Tim,
Went to your site, you are indeed very busy with pro work. I like your biz site format, very efficient! Nice looking, lots of products. Can see why you can make use of many printers.
I'm a student in digital printmaking and just bought, unopened as of yet, an Epson 3800. Am concerned I did not buy right item, am on a student budget, so it matters. I print at school (Berkeley City College, in CA) on Epson very large format printers, ergo the 3800 for home. Have not looked into any HP printers for 17"x22. Am aiming on becoming pro, as in making money from this endeavor. Going for abstracts, on canvas maybe, fine art papers.
Could you please send some guidance before I open the Ep 3800? Would really appreciate it or some links on this discussion board to other guidance. Have just joined and have read a lot already. Thanks so much! AV
-
I've had a Canon iPF5000 for a week and it works beautifully, and built like a tank. It's one big heavy dude - I can see why Tim wouldn't want to travel with it! But if you have the space the images are gorgeous, it seems to be very frugal with the ink usage, and the stock profiles work great with the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag I use. After all the fuss I don't find it that much of a pain to use at all, but maybe that's because I only use a few paper options.
-
ArdensEye:
The Epson 3800 is a good econo 17" printer, although for about the same cash I would much rather get the Canon ipf5000 - that was before the sales ran out the other day and now the price of this printer is much higher. The 3800 will certainly produce outstanding prints, it will just cost you more ink along the way perhaps. I might be tempted to just open and use that printer unless you could find the good deal on the Canon. There are really many issues to look at - many have been discussed here. All I can say is that I am happy to not be using Epson at the moment...
-
Exactly. That's why it wasn't included.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Exactly. That's why it wasn't included.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Hey, sorry for those two blank posts, still learning the system herein.
Thanks to Tim and djgarcia for the notes. I just read the HP Z3100 review which also mentioned info on the 3800, reassuring me. With this review combined with your input, it looks like the 3800 is a good enough printer for me at this stage of learning and producing art.
Also, it's rather refreshing to know that pros in the image reproduction biz have the acumen to sell printers off and not get overly attached to one or the other. I will adopt the same attitude!
Both the Canon ipf5000 and the HP Z3100 ink sets with 12 inks really appeal to me for depth and range of color. Will look forward to this in my print-making future.
Thanks again, AV
-
Also, it's rather refreshing to know that pros in the image reproduction biz have the acumen to sell printers off and not get overly attached to one or the other. I will adopt the same attitude!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Very few decisions in life are irrevocable. I have owned and sold Epson 1120's, 1520's, 1200's, 1280's, etc. There's no doubt my new 3800 will not be carried to my grave. (That honor is reserved for my Contax Zeiss lenses )
-
There's no doubt my new 3800 will not be carried to my grave. (That honor is reserved for my Contax Zeiss lenses )
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I hear ya and Amen to that!!