Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: rgs on November 08, 2021, 10:13:09 pm

Title: The Remains of the Day
Post by: rgs on November 08, 2021, 10:13:09 pm
I made this image this afternoon a few miles north of Oklahoma City, but the bright orange cloud at the bottom looks too much like a scribble with a PS brush so I have tried to soften it. The third image was moving sideways a bit to hide the bright cloud behind the trees and, maybe, place the windmill in a better place. Tell me which one you prefer.
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: Bob_B on November 09, 2021, 06:43:09 am
One beautiful sunset, with the second photo my choice for #1.
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: David Eckels on November 09, 2021, 07:01:55 am
Richard, I don't mind the first at all. Love the intensity of the colors. I see those kinds of "flare" clouds all the time here in AZ!
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: francois on November 09, 2021, 07:54:51 am
Very nice end of the day with that perfect color combination. The seemingly static windmill brings a bit of quietness.
Well done.
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: James Clark on November 09, 2021, 11:03:45 am
Second for me. I prefer the more subdued cloud, and the way the color draws my eyes left to right to end up resting on the windmill.
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: rgs on November 09, 2021, 02:16:28 pm
Richard, I don't mind the first at all. Love the intensity of the colors. I see those kinds of "flare" clouds all the time here in AZ!

David, I've never heard that called a "flare cloud" but that seems like a good description. It was very nice live but didn't get photographed well. It might be blown a bit but I made several different exposures expecting some difficulty with it and none looked natural to me. We frequently have wonderful sunsets in Oklahoma. I suspect the ones in Arizona are similar.
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 09, 2021, 04:57:12 pm
Aother vote for the second shot. Very fine.
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: Arlen on November 14, 2021, 03:36:07 pm
The second one for me, too. The "flare cloud" at the bottom is interesting, but it draws the eye too strongly to the bottom, and disrupts the overall ambience of the scene that prevails in the second one. That one has a great mood to it.
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: thierrylegros396 on November 21, 2021, 12:44:44 pm
One beautiful sunset, with the second photo my choice for #1.

+1 for the first.

Thierry
Title: Re: The Remains of the Day
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on November 21, 2021, 04:25:02 pm
The jury has decided: #2 it is.