Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on November 04, 2021, 09:46:52 am

Title: Green Tiles
Post by: Bob_B on November 04, 2021, 09:46:52 am
Perhaps visually too much going on? Perspective a bit wonky? Feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions, and thank you for viewing my photo.
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: David Eckels on November 04, 2021, 05:50:02 pm
I like the idea, Bob. If it was me, I'd square it off if possible, but that's just me.
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: John R on November 04, 2021, 10:53:52 pm
Bob I downloaded your image and tried a few things.
First thing that comes to mind is straightening the mortar lines.
Second is increasing the contrast; this allows the shadows to create more relief and makes the stone character more interesting, almost co-equal with the green line design aesthetic.

I would say this image would best exhibited alongside other similar examples and thus would provide a more contextual look and feel.

JR
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: Bob_B on November 05, 2021, 06:43:09 am
David and John R: Thanks. I'm still a neophyte with perspective-related tools, so this image will be a good source for training. I appreciate your input and great suggestions.
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: Bob_B on November 06, 2021, 01:54:35 pm
With the suggested changes in mind...
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: John R on November 06, 2021, 03:23:37 pm
With the suggested changes in mind...
I do like this much better. Two things: If you tone down white a bit; and, if possible leave more on sides so the L shaped green area has more of itself in the picture space.
One thing I often do is to simply duplicate image and then sandwhich using the multiply or over lay feature, then change opacity to taste. This may help with toning down the white of the brick. But of course there other ways.

JR
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: David Eckels on November 06, 2021, 03:37:45 pm
if possible leave more on sides so the L shaped green area has more of itself in the picture space.
As usual, John nails it.
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: Bob_B on November 06, 2021, 04:56:05 pm
And, as always, thanks to both of you for your suggestions and kind words.
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 06, 2021, 06:37:53 pm
This version is much improved, IMHO.
I'm looking forward to the next iteration incorporating all of David and John's suggestions.  ;)
Title: Re: Green Tiles
Post by: Bob_B on November 07, 2021, 05:43:13 am
Thanks, Eric. Like so many of my photos, this one is a WIP (Work In Progress).