Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on October 25, 2021, 12:31:37 pm

Title: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: MattBurt on October 25, 2021, 12:31:37 pm
They have been releasing more water this summer to help keep Lake Powell high enough to continue generating power there.
I hope we get a lot of snow this winter to help fill it back up!

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51626004231_5e3a38e3bb_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2mE1Lre)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51627355944_d8c73183f5_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2mE8GfC)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51627190248_1c254ba68f_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2mE7QZN)
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: degrub on October 25, 2021, 01:17:03 pm
Looks like the USGS has higher resolution equipment theses days - drawing 1 ft contours instead of 50 ft  ;D

The first one is particularly inviting.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: John R on October 25, 2021, 02:07:25 pm
Superb Matt. Especially like your bw treatment of the first image.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: Peter McLennan on October 25, 2021, 02:49:26 pm
Beautiful!  But scary.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 25, 2021, 04:31:13 pm
A great set, and another vote for the first image.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: MattBurt on October 25, 2021, 06:10:08 pm
Thanks guys!
I like the first one the most too. It's a reminder that midday light is good for some kinds of shots.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: francois on October 26, 2021, 06:32:53 am
Another vote for the first one. The B&W process is just perfect for the different textures and the lines.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: Bob_B on October 26, 2021, 06:37:24 am
Nice set, Matt. I favor the second one, with that sinewy river flowing through it.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on October 26, 2021, 03:06:28 pm
When I first clicked through, I thought I was seeing glacial ice patterns in the first image.
Wonderful set.
Title: Re: Low water at Blue Mesa
Post by: MattBurt on October 29, 2021, 12:53:03 am
Thanks for your comments! I think I like the first one the most but Flickr apparently really likes the second one. I wasn't happy with the sky in the second one but I liked the lines enough to keep and post it. Always interesting to get other perspectives on our own works.