Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on October 07, 2021, 12:52:01 pm

Title: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: Chris Calohan on October 07, 2021, 12:52:01 pm
The difficulty in shooting Bryce is the color and tonal range is so close together, regardless of distance or subject, so getting good separation requires copious amounts of diddling in luminosity masks and just about every other adjustment.
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: David Eckels on October 07, 2021, 04:04:07 pm
Outstanding!
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 07, 2021, 07:24:50 pm
I struggled with Bryce on my one visit there.

You have tamed it well.
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: francois on October 08, 2021, 07:18:36 am
You got excellent results. It's true that BC NP is not an easy place for photographers.
Well done.
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: Bob_B on October 08, 2021, 07:30:07 am
+1; great shadow details in the first one
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: Alan Klein on October 08, 2021, 10:55:11 am
The difficulty in shooting Bryce is the color and tonal range is so close together, regardless of distance or subject, so getting good separation requires copious amounts of diddling in luminosity masks and just about every other adjustment.
Don't be afraid of simple contrast adjustments and curves.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/27090749357/in/album-72157694819890421/
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: Chris Calohan on October 08, 2021, 11:07:30 am
Don't be afraid of simple contrast adjustments and curves.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/27090749357/in/album-72157694819890421/

I did more than simple curves and contrasts adjustments using luminosity masks on multiple adj layers (12 to be exact). The second one, though far more a simple shot proved the most difficult. I still think I need to darken the back layer more to push the foreground formation more forward.
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: Alan Klein on October 08, 2021, 11:18:23 am
I did more than simple curves and contrasts adjustments using luminosity masks on multiple adj layers (12 to be exact). The second one, though far more a simple shot proved the most difficult. I still think I need to darken the back layer more to push the foreground formation more forward.
Seems like you're using complicated adjustments when a simple one would do.
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: David Eckels on October 08, 2021, 11:21:31 am
Outstanding!
Title: Re: Bryce Canyon NP
Post by: Chris Calohan on October 08, 2021, 01:31:30 pm
Seems like you're using complicated adjustments when a simple one would do.

I wouldn't have used them if the simple ones worked to my satisfaction.