Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on September 28, 2021, 12:42:27 pm

Title: Abstract
Post by: David Eckels on September 28, 2021, 12:42:27 pm
.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: Bob_B on September 28, 2021, 03:45:15 pm
That's a winner, David.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: David Eckels on September 28, 2021, 06:59:53 pm
Thanks, Bob. I like the toning, but it seems compressed in the downsizing.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 28, 2021, 07:21:19 pm
I like it a lot, just as it is.

(You are a harsh self-critic, David.)
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: francois on September 29, 2021, 09:05:22 am
I like it a lot, just as it is.

(You are a harsh self-critic, David.)

I also like it a lot but I can understand David's feelings. Maybe he had something else in mind when he took the shot.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: David Eckels on September 29, 2021, 10:15:39 am
Thanks, Eric, Francois. I always want to beat someone else to the punch, Eric!
Francois, I didn't have something different in mind when I took the shot, but I couldn't get the color balance to look right in post and so I went for BW. As I look at it this morning, I think I want to soften it quite a bit, maybe +1 EV in the darks to midtones. I do appreciate your reactions and you've helped get me oriented correctly.
Attached, is more where I was headed, but again, maybe went too far.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: Arlen on September 29, 2021, 10:19:54 am
I like them both, but the original grabs me a little more. The tone of the background around them can make a big difference, though.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 29, 2021, 01:54:56 pm
And I prefer the new, softer version.

Different tastes for different folks.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on September 29, 2021, 04:27:23 pm
+1 for the original version.
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: David Eckels on September 30, 2021, 10:41:36 am
I will have to see if I can find an in betweener, maybe lower the midtones. To me the first is too contrasty, the second too soft. Oh me!
Thanks for the very helpful comments folks!
Title: Re: Abstract
Post by: Michael West on October 03, 2021, 03:09:45 pm
I will have to see if I can find an in betweener, maybe lower the midtones. To me the first is too contrasty, the second too soft. Oh me!
Thanks for the very helpful comments folks!

the blacks in number one make the biggest positive difference to me.

Id "throw" some of Adobe "dehaze" at it.

well seen. the geometry is exquisite