Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on September 22, 2021, 03:47:45 pm

Title: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: Bob_B on September 22, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
From a recent photowalk through my hometown of Catonsville (Maryland, USA). This is the old Plymouth Wallpaper Building, currently being remodeled for its new tenant. The building was built around 1900 and is a central landmark on Frederick Avenue in downtown.

When I captured this photograph, I intended it to be a watercolor rendering, but thought it would be fun to show you three versions. I'd greatly appreciate knowing your favorite, if you have one. As always, thank you for viewing and posting your thoughts and comments.
Title: Re: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 22, 2021, 11:47:24 pm
The B&W is my pick.
Title: Re: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: John R on September 23, 2021, 02:25:00 am
The B&W is my pick.
Same here. I also like the color version. But the watercolor has what looks like artifacts or is prone to depicting the sky and some elements in unnatural ways. For instance look at the sky above the chimney on the left. Instead of sky it looks likes streaks. Same on far right side above the clouds. Instead sky, more streaks.

JR
Title: Re: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: Bob_B on September 23, 2021, 06:29:53 am
Thank you Eric and John R.
Title: Re: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: francois on September 23, 2021, 09:03:47 am
Another vote for the B&W version, it has that timeless look that goes perfectly with the building.
Title: Re: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: Bob_B on September 23, 2021, 05:19:46 pm
Thank you for your vote, francois.
Title: Re: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: Peter McLennan on October 15, 2021, 06:08:07 pm
BW for me, too.

Despite endless experiments with Topaz Impression, I've yet to be fully satisfied with the results.  No idea how you did this watercolour version, Bob, but I like the buildings' rendering, but I'm unsure about the sky.
Title: Re: The Old Plymouth Wallpaper Building
Post by: Bob_B on October 16, 2021, 06:41:30 am
Thanks Peter. The watercolor rendering is quite an elaborate composite of multiple watercolor versions done in photoshop.