Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Ray on December 30, 2006, 03:23:49 am

Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Ray on December 30, 2006, 03:23:49 am
When I burn images to DVD on my laptop (when travelling), I try to fill each disk to reduce the number of blank disks I carry. On one occasion recently, whilst attempting to fill a folder with about 4.3gb of 5D RAW images, I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why the usual number of RAW images far exceeded the 4.3gb mark. My first reaction was, I must have got some 16bit tif files mixed up with the RAW images. That was easy to check and it appeared I hadn't. They were all RAW files.

After a bit of head scratching and stuffing around, I discovered that one of the RAW files I was trying to burn was over 1.68Gb in size, as you can see from the attached image of the thumbnail and file description. The file converts normally as any other RAW file and with no greater delay.

It's not a problem now I know it's happened. I'd just like to know how it happened.

[attachment=1440:attachment]
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: rvanr on December 30, 2006, 06:45:09 am
Looks like a glitch in the directory, misrepresenting the size of the file. What happens when you copy it with a different name?

Alternative, festive interpretation: you have a camera with an enormous sensor!  

Ruud
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Ray on December 30, 2006, 08:34:41 am
Quote
Looks like a glitch in the directory, misrepresenting the size of the file. What happens when you copy it with a different name?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I copy it with a different name it copies fast like a small file but the description of the file size remains unchanged. Before the name change, it copied really slow as though it really was a 1.68Gb file. However, I tried recording the new file onto a blank CD and it still wouldn't fit. I have two such RAW images with exactly the same 1.68Gb file size description.
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Jack Flesher on December 30, 2006, 10:38:41 am
Not sure if you're using Lightroom, but it did that to a few of my images after just browsing them and I could not fix it.  The size tag stuck even after I moved the files to a large external drive.  If it is an important raw, you might dedicate it to its own DVD, otherwise I'd just convert it to a 16-bit tiff and delete the raw.
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: John Sheehy on December 30, 2006, 05:40:43 pm
Quote
Not sure if you're using Lightroom, but it did that to a few of my images after just browsing them and I could not fix it.  The size tag stuck even after I moved the files to a large external drive.  If it is an important raw, you might dedicate it to its own DVD, otherwise I'd just convert it to a 16-bit tiff and delete the raw.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What about making a DNG out of it?
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: ARD on December 31, 2006, 07:03:36 pm
Do you still have the original raw file from the memory card?. If so copy it over again.

This happened to me once, never figured it out either, just one of those computer mysteries lol
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Eric_M on January 01, 2007, 06:06:34 am
Quote
5D RAW images
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm guessing you haven't updated firmware lately.  I used to have the same issue when I first got my 5D.  Thought it was a corrupt memory card, at first.  One of the firmware updates fixed a problem of creating a huge raw file.


Eric
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Ray on January 01, 2007, 09:24:21 am
Quote
I'm guessing you haven't updated firmware lately. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93108\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quite right, Eric. I generally don't bother with firmware updates unless I've noticed a problem that needs fixing or an additional feature that I want. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, you might be right that this problem would not have occurred had I updated the firmware. It's difficult to say because it's happened only twice in the 15,000 or so RAW images I've taken so far with the 5D, and both those occasions were around the same time.

I suspect this problem has something to do with the fact I don't use a mouse with my laptop. I've noticed a few times odd things have happened when moving the cursor around using the touch pad, such as entire folders disappearing because I've accidentally shifted them to a different directory.

However, John's suggestion has worked (thank's John   ). Converting the Canon RAW to DNG has fixed the problem. The file is now the correct size, but I'm still curious as to the significance of these 2 little arrows in the lower right corner of the RAW thumbnail which have got there, I'm sure, because of an over sensitive touch pad.

[attachment=1446:attachment]
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: John Sheehy on January 01, 2007, 10:19:45 am
Quote
Converting the Canon RAW to DNG has fixed the problem. The file is now the correct size, but I'm still curious as to the significance of these 2 little arrows in the lower right corner of the RAW thumbnail which have got there, I'm sure, because of an over sensitive touch pad.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93123\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you embed the RAW in the DNG?

If you did, perhaps the "modification" icon is recording that the RAW has changed.  If that is the case, perhaps extracting the RAW form the DNG will return it to the normal size (if adobe uses the contents of the RAW to determine its size, rather than a single EOF (end of file) pointer, or corrects this known problem).
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Jack Flesher on January 01, 2007, 12:59:35 pm
I am pretty sure those little arrows mean a set of ACR (or LightRoom) conversion adjustments are associated with that image in the browser.  They could even be your raw default settings.
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: ronno on January 02, 2007, 08:38:04 pm
Ray, this specific large file issue was addressed by a 5D firmware update. I suggest you get the latest.

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_firmware-e.html (http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_firmware-e.html)

Among other things:
   1.  Fixes the phenomenon of large image files (1.7GB) being created.

    Fixes the phenomenon of large image files (1.7GB) being created when vertical images are taken with the Auto Image Rotation setting set to ON.


-ron
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Alexis Alvarez on January 02, 2007, 10:53:15 pm
I bought a 5D about 8 months ago -- how would I  know if I needed a firmware update?

aa
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: francois on January 03, 2007, 04:20:24 am
Quote
I bought a 5D about 8 months ago -- how would I  know if I needed a firmware update?

aa
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=93394\")
Look at your firmware version on your camera and see if it is the latest ([a href=\"http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/BeBit-e.html]Canon firmware web page[/url]).
Title: Huge RAW File
Post by: Ray on January 03, 2007, 07:14:55 am
Quote
Ray, this specific large file issue was addressed by a 5D firmware update. I suggest you get the latest.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Thanks, Ron. It's already downloaded. I'm really slack when it comes to firmware updates. I should have checked before now. I notice the large file issue was addressed in a previous update.