Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: PeterAit on August 30, 2021, 04:33:20 pm

Title: B&W or color?
Post by: PeterAit on August 30, 2021, 04:33:20 pm
This photo was taken on the northwest coast of Iceland. It's a very quiet landscape, but I am coming to like it. But I cannot decide-B&W or color? Your opinions most welcome.
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 30, 2021, 11:57:59 pm
I vote for the B&W version. It captures the bleakness of that desolate area very well.
The lush grass in the color version just feels to me as if it is too cheerful for the rest of the scene.

Just my two kroner.
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 31, 2021, 04:35:18 am
I see Eric's point but I will go with the colour version as it evokes the Icelandic summer for me.
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: Bob_B on August 31, 2021, 06:30:33 am
I see Eric's point but I will go with the colour version as it evokes the Icelandic summer for me.

+1, stronger image imho
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 31, 2021, 10:31:12 am
I certainly can't argue with Rajan about Iceland!   ;)
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: rgs on August 31, 2021, 08:50:39 pm
Color for me - too many years in the darkroom, I rarely see digital B&W with the same impact as a wet print. That aside, I might also play with getting a bit more of the sky detail. 
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: francois on September 01, 2021, 07:23:11 am
Color by a slight margin for me!
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: BAB on September 09, 2021, 05:12:16 am
Straighten the horizon and crop out the foreground one third print in B&W after recovering slightly more highlights in the top third of the image
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 09, 2021, 06:07:20 pm
Agree with straightening out the horizon and more so, more definition in the clouds.  I think both versions play to a barren wasteland thus neither really gets my interest overly piqued.
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: petermfiore on September 10, 2021, 10:19:01 am
Hi Peter,

I keep coming back to this to see if anyone showed a variation on the B&W...None. So I took a shot. More can be done...

Peter
Title: Re: B&W or color?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 10, 2021, 11:52:43 am
I like this version a lot.