Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: PeterAit on August 26, 2021, 08:48:43 am

Title: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: PeterAit on August 26, 2021, 08:48:43 am
Move one and only one matchstick to make a correct equation. I know of 3 solutions.

Let's hold off posting answers for a couple of days to give others the chance to ponder, OK?
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 26, 2021, 11:45:15 am
From what original setup? Is there supposed to be an image that accompanies this post?
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: PeterAit on August 27, 2021, 03:26:13 pm
From what original setup? Is there supposed to be an image that accompanies this post?

Yikes, for sure! Here it is.
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 27, 2021, 05:16:35 pm
Got it.

I'll give others a chance before I display my answer.
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: PeterAit on August 28, 2021, 09:57:17 am
Got it.

I'll give others a chance before I display my answer.

Great! Remember there are 3 answers (at least).
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 28, 2021, 11:24:58 am
OK, now I've got two.
Still working on the third.
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 28, 2021, 11:38:35 am
Aha!!!

I finally figured out the third solution.

I'll start posting my solutions in a week. I hope some others will try before then.

-Eric
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: degrub on August 28, 2021, 10:13:59 pm
I’ve got 2 + 1 depending on how strict the font.
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: petermfiore on August 29, 2021, 01:31:32 am
I have three...
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: PeterAit on August 29, 2021, 10:51:48 am
OK gang, here are the three I have come up with.

[li]Move the vertical match of the + sign and lay it diagonally across the = sign to make a not-equal sign: 6-4≠4
[/li][/list]

I'd love to hear any I missed!
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 29, 2021, 11:32:22 am
Here's one more:

Remove the left-lower vertical matchstick from the 6 making it into a 5.
Place that matchstick horizontally on top of the right-side 4 making it into a 9.

Result: 5 + 4 = 9.

 :)
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: petermfiore on August 29, 2021, 02:45:56 pm
I got 5+4=9, 0+4=4,  and 8-4=4

Peter
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: PeterAit on August 29, 2021, 05:36:29 pm
Here's one more:

Remove the left-lower vertical matchstick from the 6 making it into a 5.
Place that matchstick horizontally on top of the right-side 4 making it into a 9.

Result: 5 + 4 = 9.

 :)

Odd looking 9, but OK!
Title: Re: A puzzle for y'all
Post by: EricV on August 29, 2021, 09:06:39 pm
There are a lot more if you allow a (not equal) sign.