Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on August 18, 2021, 09:49:35 am

Title: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: Bob_B on August 18, 2021, 09:49:35 am
A study of a set of weather-worn fence planks with their rusted nails. Texture anyone? It's part of what I hope will become a routine: weekly photowalks. My latest walk was through Old Ellicott City (Maryland) during oppressive humidity and intermittent downpours. Please feel free to leave your comments, opinions, suggestions, etc. They are most welcomed, and I thank you for stopping by.
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: PeterAit on August 18, 2021, 10:43:48 am
Have you considered zooming in closer?
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: francois on August 18, 2021, 11:07:41 am
I like it a lot. The weathered wood portions are almost monochrome and the nails add just enough colors and modernity.
Well done.
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: Frans Waterlander on August 18, 2021, 12:02:51 pm
Those are screws, not nails. I second the idea of getting closer.
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Screws
Post by: Bob_B on August 18, 2021, 01:17:15 pm
Thank you PeterAit, francois and Frans. A closer point of view is certainly justifiable and attached. I think getting much closer and you lose symmetry and balance, but that's just my perspective. Frans: Duh! Yes, they're screws. I must have been thinking of drinking a rusty nail or something. Thanks for pointing that out.
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 18, 2021, 06:06:07 pm
Very impressive, Bob.

(Too bad you screwed up the nails!    :D )
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: Bob_B on August 19, 2021, 06:44:14 am
Thanks Eric. "...screwed up the nails...", I like that.
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: John R on August 19, 2021, 10:45:30 am
If the goal is to bring out the texture, you could try to select all the really dark-black areas and increase the black point. That may help increase texture and contrast especially in the knotty areas.

JR
Title: Re: Fence & Rusted Nails
Post by: Bob_B on August 19, 2021, 04:36:45 pm
John R: Thanks for the suggestion!