Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: gchappel on August 09, 2021, 08:26:01 pm

Title: Large aluminum prints
Post by: gchappel on August 09, 2021, 08:26:01 pm
I am shipping a trial print off to a customer today.
If this is accepted- and I suspect it will be- the order will be for 8-12 large prints from 30x60 to roughly 40x72"
I have used an aluminum printer for years- and am happy with their work--BUT they can only go to 30x40"
I need to find a new printer. 
Anyone have any experience with a true professional shop that can handle larger aluminum pieces?
thanks for any thoughts and advice
gary
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: MDL_SD on August 09, 2021, 08:57:12 pm
Try Metalography in Temecula, CA; I believe that they can accomodate you.  https://www.metalography.com/home
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: mearussi on August 09, 2021, 10:26:03 pm
In my area (Portland, OR) many photographers use our local aluminum printer HD Aluminum: https://www.hdaluminumprints.com/pricing

He can handle sizes up to 48x96.
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: gchappel on August 09, 2021, 10:43:57 pm
Thanks I will give them a call.
Any on the east coast?
gary
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: stevemills on August 09, 2021, 11:16:36 pm
Try https://vividmetalprints.com
Lexington NC
Great people
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: Ismail on August 10, 2021, 03:02:52 pm
https://www.breathingcolor.com/ makes direct to print aluminium sheets,
and the largest I have seen by them is 4ftx8ft.

Just a suggestion, maybe you can call them and ask who buys this product from them in and around your state.  :)
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: gchappel on August 10, 2021, 04:33:50 pm
These are great ideas.  Thanks
Gary
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: deanwork on August 10, 2021, 08:34:11 pm
Most people doing prints on metal are using dye sublimation.

I would talk to Griffin Editions in Brooklyn. They do this kind of work all the time for artists. They aren’t sign printers. They do work for galleries and museums and are well equipped to do huge pieces and ship them.

John




These are great ideas.  Thanks
Gary
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: dgberg on August 11, 2021, 08:01:44 am
https://www.breathingcolor.com/ makes direct to print aluminium sheets,
and the largest I have seen by them is 4ftx8ft.

Just a suggestion, maybe you can call them and ask who buys this product from them in and around your state.  :)

This is a knock off product that is meant to be printed with straight through pigment printers. It is nothing close to Dye sublimation.
As John states you want dye sublimation preferably on Chromaluxe metal.
Title: Re: Large aluminum prints
Post by: deanwork on August 11, 2021, 09:31:38 am
That’s right. Chromaluxe is a real improvement. But I have not seen the output from the new latex flatbed from HP. I believe the longevity for dye sub on Chromaluxe is in the range of 30-50 years according to Wilhelm but don’t know if the recent latex inks have been tested. They are designed for ad display in public spaces.






This is a knock off product that is meant to be printed with straight through pigment printers. It is nothing close to Dye sublimation.
As John states you want dye sublimation preferably on Chromaluxe metal.