Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on August 03, 2021, 11:05:10 am

Title: Warrior Down
Post by: David Eckels on August 03, 2021, 11:05:10 am
C&C?
Title: Re: Warrior Down
Post by: francois on August 04, 2021, 09:13:56 am
I like the title and I like the composition. The geometry is a bit weird but I think it's a good thing. The only minus for me it the sky. It looks a bit flat but frankly, my eyes stay glued on the fallen warrior so it's not that important.
Well done.
Title: Re: Warrior Down
Post by: John R on August 04, 2021, 12:18:06 pm
This image is ominous and disturbing. The world appears doomed. Maybe it was unintentional, but the image sure looks symbolic of a Christ-figure that is down - and apparently taking the world down with him. It is interesting that depending on where you crop the image, you can either make the fallen figure more prominent or less prominent. The sky does look a little crunchy as if pushed too much, but that is a small criticism.

A very well seen, but also disturbing image. And that is what photography is all about.


JR
Title: Re: Warrior Down
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 04, 2021, 11:24:53 pm
Yes, disturbing but quite gripping.
Title: Re: Warrior Down
Post by: nokk on August 05, 2021, 12:04:00 am
it got a chuckle out of me, i love the fallen soldier.

the verticals are straight, but optically it still looks like it's leaning towards the left for me.  it may be an illusion due to the converging verticals on the edges and heavy shadows on the left.  other than that little oddity, i like this one a lot.
Title: Re: Warrior Down
Post by: David Eckels on August 05, 2021, 06:50:30 pm
Thanks for the comments, guys, very helpful.
This was shot with the iPhone 11 at wide angle and pointed a bit downwards obviously. The shot struck me for reasons I was not quite sure, which is why I posted it for comments.
I could have squared all the verticals, but decided that their being off added to the dynamic, so I left them the way they were. I purposely included that row of cactus LOF. I am pleased with the "oddity" description actually. The sky was problematic, too contrasty to my eye, so I was trying to take it down a bit; maybe I went too far darkening the darks and lightening the lights, but then lifting the darkest darks :o
I am also pleased that the focus is on the fallen metal sculpture; disturbing and ominous does it for me subliminally and probably why I felt compelled to capture and render it as I have.
Better feedback I could not have hoped for fellas, THANX!