Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on July 30, 2021, 09:43:48 am
-
I've been working on my black and white processing and presentation, and submit this photo "america" for your thoughts and comments. Thank you for stopping by. Cheers, Bob
-
It's interesting that the house could have been built last month but the car is from 60 years ago (or so). But I must say, the photo as a whole seems flat and uninteresting. Maybe that was your intention but it does not work for me.
-
I have to take a slightly different tac from Peter. I like your processing; is it toned in some way, or perhaps a 95% opacity in the BW layer? I think it would fit very well in a series of Americana.
-
Peter and David: Thank you for your comments.
Peter: if you have the time, would you elaborate on the "flat and uninteresting" part of your comment? I assume you are not talking subject, but b/w gray scale. Where would you suggest changes in the processing? BTW: the house was built in the late 1890s. That it looks like it could have been built last month is a testament to its owner. It would have made for a finer photographic subject prior to his extensive renovations.
-
I feel the B&W processing is spot on. There is good detail in both shadows and light areas, and the overall effect is quite realistic.
I would process it quite differently if I were trying to get a specific mood, such as gloomy, or ominous, or inspirational, etc. But this scene seems to me to want a "realistic" rendition, and it works for me that way.
-
I feel the B&W processing is spot on. There is good detail in both shadows and light areas, and the overall effect is quite realistic.
I would process it quite differently if I were trying to get a specific mood, such as gloomy, or ominous, or inspirational, etc. But this scene seems to me to want a "realistic" rendition, and it works for me that way.
The only thing I would add, is for you to try sepia toning perhaps with a vignette to try and enhance the obvious nostalgic atmosphere and content - as an alternate version. Would not change this one.
JR
-
Thank you, Eric and John R.
Re: vignette -- I decided to leave the vignette out of this one, as I was beginning to think that I was overdoing it on previous photos. I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future.
-
I generally apply some vignette on every image, and then roll it back until I feel it isn't offensive (at least to me!)
-
I generally apply some vignette on every image, and then roll it back until I feel it isn't offensive (at least to me!)
I tend to do the same with every setting, not only with vignette!
I like Bob's image very much.
-
Thanks Eric and francois for your thoughts, suggestions, and praise. I appreciate your input.