Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on July 29, 2021, 04:46:04 pm

Title: Pulling
Post by: Todd Suttles on July 29, 2021, 04:46:04 pm
From a series I am making about water. This one is "pulling." Its companions are titled surging, drifting, floating, reflecting, standing, misting, absorbing, coating, etc, etc   -the various "verbs" of water.
Title: Re: Pulling
Post by: John R on July 30, 2021, 10:51:22 pm
The serious sounds interesting. These kinds of images make sense if you put them in the context of your chosen themes and what you are trying to achieve. The tonal contrast in this image is quite wonderful. The bright tones are nicely tamed and are framing your "interpreted subject."

I seldom work to capture themes, preferring instead, to just follow color, lines, shapes and tones. Maybe its because I'm older and no longer wish to capture themes. Seems like work to me. Neither way is wrong or right. Of course many of our images are a mix of both whether we observe it or not.

JR
Title: Re: Pulling
Post by: Todd Suttles on July 31, 2021, 05:49:33 am
The serious sounds interesting. These kinds of images make sense if you put them in the context of your chosen themes and what you are trying to achieve. The tonal contrast in this image is quite wonderful. The bright tones are nicely tamed and are framing your "interpreted subject."

I seldom work to capture themes, preferring instead, to just follow color, lines, shapes and tones. Maybe its because I'm older and no longer wish to capture themes. Seems like work to me. Neither way is wrong or right. Of course many of our images are a mix of both whether we observe it or not.

JR
("follow color, lines, shapes and tones") -I see that in your images and I would propose you are "there" because you did the "work" to get there. I am in the try/fail/learn cycle. I guess it is work, but I love the process. Being able to look back and cringe, knowing full well that at some point I will do the same with today, is enjoyment enough. Thanks for your, and everyone's, help and tolerance. :)