Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on July 22, 2021, 08:42:33 pm

Title: Storm Over Black Hills
Post by: David Eckels on July 22, 2021, 08:42:33 pm
C&C welcome
Title: Re: Storm Over Black Hills
Post by: degrub on July 22, 2021, 09:01:40 pm
A little hint of greenish would make it more ominous imo.
Title: Re: Storm Over Black Hills
Post by: John R on July 22, 2021, 10:28:15 pm
I like this image quite a lot. What I would to try and improve is to see if you can create two different tone between the mountain ranges. I try to do that a lot when I convert to BW. It helps create depth and flow within the image. If it can be done and looks right.

JR
Title: Re: Storm Over Black Hills
Post by: Bob_B on July 23, 2021, 07:14:29 am
I like it too, but feel it needs more tonal variation, as John R. suggested. (Maybe in the  clouds as well?)
Title: Re: Storm Over Black Hills
Post by: David Eckels on July 23, 2021, 09:38:40 am
Something like this?
Thanks for the comments. I have a 10% cooling filter on it and tried to open up some of the layering in the mountains and sky. I will have to see what a green filter does.
Title: Re: Storm Over Black Hills
Post by: John R on July 23, 2021, 09:52:06 pm
Not sure you got my meaning. I am referring strictly to the two mountain ridges. The way to lighten one of the ridges is to create a brightness-contrast mask and paint in one of the ridges as lighter (sort of like selecting and brightening the ridge.) You can try both alternately. But I am thinking the sky has many alternating bright and dark areas, so the bottom ridge should be lightened up. The resulting image should be mixed dark-light sky (as is), dark mid ridge, light bottom ridge. It will give the scene depth and give a sense of layers in the scene.

JR
Title: Re: Storm Over Black Hills
Post by: David Eckels on July 24, 2021, 09:46:15 am
Thanks, that's is what I thought you meant, John. I did lighten that foreground ridge and going any further, it ended up looking wrong. I could push it, of course, easier to push all of the hills than dodge one or the other. That foreground ridge has a bit more luminosity than the hills in the distance but not much. I will have to see how it prints.