Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on July 13, 2021, 06:08:46 pm

Title: Up
Post by: armand on July 13, 2021, 06:08:46 pm
Turns out the iPhone is unexpectedly good at aerial photography through the crap airplane windows. They might not win prizes but are as good as I got from "serious" cameras.

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482380-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482390-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482393-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482413-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482355-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482415-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482396-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Up
Post by: langier on July 13, 2021, 07:16:20 pm
I think these are better than what I get with any of my "real" cameras. Well done and nice pix!
Title: Re: Up
Post by: John R on July 13, 2021, 07:38:03 pm
I think these are better than what I get with any of my "real" cameras. Well done and nice pix!
Indeed!

JR
Title: Re: Up
Post by: rabanito on July 14, 2021, 04:41:12 am
Indeed!

JR
+1
Title: Re: Up
Post by: kers on July 14, 2021, 06:13:23 am
You would expect that you see more dirt with a mobile phone due to more depth of field.
I see some streakes, but its ok.

Like very much no1 ! and the patterns of the last one_ what am i looking at? do you know?
Title: Re: Up
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 14, 2021, 10:34:37 am
A great set.
My favorites are #3 and #6.

All are much better than any I've gotten through airplane windows (with "real" cameras.)

P.S. What kind of airplane did you buy that has such nice, clear windows?    :D
Title: Re: Up
Post by: John R on July 14, 2021, 01:15:43 pm
A great set.
My favorites are #3 and #6.

All are much better than any I've gotten through airplane windows (with "real" cameras.)

P.S. What kind of airplane did you buy that has such nice, clear windows?    :D
Aha, I have figured it out based on your last image. These are really fancy carpet rugs and you are just pretending to photograph through a window. Right? 8)
Title: Re: Up
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 14, 2021, 01:40:10 pm
Aha, I have figured it out based on your last image. These are really fancy carpet rugs and you are just pretending to photograph through a window. Right? 8)
+1!  ;)
Title: Re: Up
Post by: armand on July 14, 2021, 04:22:22 pm
Thank you all!

Pieter, the streaks are sunrays brought up with a little clarity. There is inconsistent sharpness in a few based on the window, but overall they turned up well. I suspect it's a combination of being able to get the camera very close to the window, reducing dramatically the reflections and extra flare, and the multishot processing of the iPhone.
That area is just outside San Francisco, and based on what I saw it looks like some area to produce salt from seawater. I could very possibly be wrong though.

As for carpet, here are some that are more difficult to conceal John  :P


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482270-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482345-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482271-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482287-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482289-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482347-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2811482344-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Up
Post by: armand on July 14, 2021, 04:55:41 pm
PS. I accidentally deleted the photos, will get them back by tomorrow
Title: Re: Up
Post by: armand on July 15, 2021, 03:13:49 pm
PS. I accidentally deleted the photos, will get them back by tomorrow

back online
Title: Re: Up
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 16, 2021, 02:09:23 pm
back online
Good. I missed them.
Title: Re: Up
Post by: John R on July 16, 2021, 09:23:25 pm
There is not one that I don't like. Not every day we get see landscapes from overhead. Jolts my senses to see such awesome patterns in the landscape.

JR
Title: Re: Up
Post by: armand on July 20, 2021, 08:17:17 pm
There is not one that I don't like. Not every day we get see landscapes from overhead. Jolts my senses to see such awesome patterns in the landscape.

JR

Thank you John!

I'll have it ready next time I fly, although I suspect it needs good light to come up like this so I might not get that lucky.
Title: Re: Up
Post by: degrub on July 20, 2021, 09:19:00 pm
You were shooting from the ‘A’ side of the plane on an early afternoon flight into Oakland by chance ?
I used to fly in there often for work and was enamored of the patterns and the salt pans as well.
Title: Re: Up
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 21, 2021, 06:01:27 am
Looks like you got the Ravenswood Slough. Yes, the iPhone does well through airplane windows. See -

https://blog.parrikar.com/2016/09/15/ravenswood-slough/

Title: Re: Up
Post by: MattBurt on July 21, 2021, 01:58:42 pm
Those are really nice. If I get one or two decent images from a flight I'm usually pretty pleased!
Title: Re: Up
Post by: armand on July 27, 2021, 07:43:33 am
You were shooting from the ‘A’ side of the plane on an early afternoon flight into Oakland by chance ?
I used to fly in there often for work and was enamored of the patterns and the salt pans as well.
I landed in San Francisco, this was while the plane was heading north towards the airport and I was looking west, which I guess is the "A side"


Looks like you got the Ravenswood Slough. Yes, the iPhone does well through airplane windows. See -

https://blog.parrikar.com/2016/09/15/ravenswood-slough/


Probably


Those are really nice. If I get one or two decent images from a flight I'm usually pretty pleased!
My usual percentage is about the same, the phone thing has been a revelation.