Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: shadowblade on July 01, 2021, 04:27:51 am

Title: Sunrise in the Karakorams
Post by: shadowblade on July 01, 2021, 04:27:51 am
Sunrise on the Karakorams in the Shigar Valley, north of Skardu, Pakistan.

A7r3 with Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 GM. 5-shot panorama at 70mm, f/8, 1/125s, ISO 100.
Title: Re: Sunrise in the Karakorams
Post by: francois on July 01, 2021, 07:49:50 am
Great opening in the valley… The hills on both sides of the frame are like theatre curtains, open for the fantastic and majestic show.
Title: Re: Sunrise in the Karakorams
Post by: MattBurt on July 01, 2021, 11:21:39 am
Beautiful! But maybe slightly too HDR-ish looking for my tastes in the processing.
A little more contrast and slightly darker might make it look more natural would help IMO.

But even as-is it's a lovely image, processing tastes aside.
Title: Re: Sunrise in the Karakorams
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 01, 2021, 06:07:01 pm
Great opening in the valley… The hills on both sides of the frame are like theatre curtains, open for the fantastic and majestic show.
I'll echo what Francois said.
Title: Re: Sunrise in the Karakorams
Post by: shadowblade on July 01, 2021, 08:35:29 pm
Beautiful! But maybe slightly too HDR-ish looking for my tastes in the processing.
A little more contrast and slightly darker might make it look more natural would help IMO.

But even as-is it's a lovely image, processing tastes aside.

To be honest, this photo was so difficult to process I've been putting it off for 3 years. The combination of extreme resolution (200MP or so) and difficult colour balance made it hard to work with.

Increasing the contrast just seems to make it look garish and oversharpened. If anything, decreasing the contrast, while reducing the brightness slightly, seems to improve things. But I'm just as inclined to increase the brightness - the light grey rocks made the scene fairly bright, even though it was in shadow and only lit indirectly.

And that's just the luminosity side of things. On the colour side, selecting the right white balance, and I'm still not sure I've got it right - maybe it needs to be a bit more yellow and less blue. Saturation-wise, there was the heavily-saturated clouds against the desaturated foreground and shadows - I had to selectively desaturate the clouds, but am not sure if it was not enough, or too much.
Title: Re: Sunrise in the Karakorams
Post by: MattBurt on July 08, 2021, 01:29:51 pm
Maybe just bringing down the highlights would help. To my eyes it is close but not quite natural looking. But it's a very nice shot.
 
Title: Re: Sunrise in the Karakorams
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 09, 2021, 05:01:40 am
Beautiful. I think the shadows are perhaps too light, especially on the left - that part of the mountain I would expect to be on the shade. The highlights are perhaps too yellow.