Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mdijb on June 21, 2021, 08:17:56 pm

Title: What is the epson legacy baryta story?
Post by: mdijb on June 21, 2021, 08:17:56 pm
I have been searching to buy some Epson Legacy Baryta paper and having a hard time find a supplier that has the product.  I read that it may have been discontinued last year.  Can any one confirm that?  If so what is the story.  I also have a Legacy Baryta II advertised--is the the same paper or a new version?

ANyone know of a supplier that has some?

MDIJB
Title: Re: What is the epson legacy baryta story?
Post by: MfAlab on June 22, 2021, 12:18:59 am
Yes, it's discotinued, and all other Baryta papers too.

You can find out more here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=132680.0 (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=132680.0)
and here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=136431.0 (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=136431.0)
Title: Re: What is the epson legacy baryta story?
Post by: deanwork on June 22, 2021, 09:10:18 pm
Is Epson getting out of the “Legacy “ business.

Besides the Baryta, I’ve not been able to buy large rolls of Legacy Fibre or Legacy Platine since the pandemic started. I had to start using Canson again, not that I’m complaining about Canson, other than Legion is often under stocked and slow to ship. I personally haven’t had problems with Hahnemuhle during this time.

Maybe their agreement with Canson isn’t working out. From what I see online when you can find Legacy Fibre, the price has gone way up. BH has a 44” roll for $450.00 which is a hundred dollars more than Canson.

John





I have been searching to buy some Epson Legacy Baryta paper and having a hard time find a supplier that has the product.  I read that it may have been discontinued last year.  Can any one confirm that?  If so what is the story.  I also have a Legacy Baryta II advertised--is the the same paper or a new version?

ANyone know of a supplier that has some?

MDIJB
Title: Re: What is the epson legacy baryta story?
Post by: Roscolo on June 23, 2021, 11:47:22 pm
Yes, it's discotinued, and all other Baryta papers too.



Epson may be getting out of baryta, but I've had no issues acquiring baryta paper from Hahnemuhle.
Title: Re: What is the epson legacy baryta story?
Post by: Rand47 on June 24, 2021, 09:44:13 am
Epson may be getting out of baryta, but I've had no issues acquiring baryta paper from Hahnemuhle.

Epson, Canson, Ilford, Red River,  . . .  all “got out” of these Baryta “twins” … but not by choice.  They were all up the creek when Felix Schoeller mill took down the machine that was producing all of these papers.  As I’ve been able to pice together the story, it is both the mill, and a shortage of one of the coating ingredients (making it unobtainable) that lead to the death of a VERY popular seller for all these “brands.”  There were identical to the point that I used one ICC profile for all of them interchangeably.  And if you think Hahnemuhle was not affected, do a search to buy some Hahnemuhle Photo Silk Baryta.  Surprise!  It’s gone too.

I have one remaining source for this paper that I’ll keep to myself because I think the vendor must have bought up a bunch of remaining stock and I’m afraid it will go the way of the others soon enough.

To my way of thinking, all the “Baryta II” versions now out there from Canson, Red River, and I suspect Epson at some point, are not even close to the same paper.  They’re nice enough, but a poor replacement, IMO.

Rand
Title: Re: What is the epson legacy baryta story?
Post by: Roscolo on June 24, 2021, 10:50:50 am
Epson, Canson, Ilford, Red River,  . . .  all “got out” of these Baryta “twins” … but not by choice.  They were all up the creek when Felix Schoeller mill took down the machine that was producing all of these papers.  As I’ve been able to pice together the story, it is both the mill, and a shortage of one of the coating ingredients (making it unobtainable) that lead to the death of a VERY popular seller for all these “brands.”  There were identical to the point that I used one ICC profile for all of them interchangeably.  And if you think Hahnemuhle was not affected, do a search to buy some Hahnemuhle Photo Silk Baryta.  Surprise!  It’s gone too.



Rand

We don't use Photo Silk Baryta, but your're right, it's discontinued. Maybe it's just the Silk Baryta papers that are not obtainable? Tried Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and thought it was OK until I tried the offerings Hahnemuhle. Still have a roll of the Fiber Silk sitting here because I can't stand the stuff. All the other Hahnemuhle Baryta papers, or at least the ones we use, appear to all be in stock at my suppliers, and at B&H as well.