Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: rasworth on May 31, 2021, 04:36:19 pm

Title: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rasworth on May 31, 2021, 04:36:19 pm
Printing 13"x19" sheets on my Canon Pro-100, I consistently observe short black streaks in the upper right hand corner (lower left as it exits the printer, see image).  I assume I have some spurious ink somewhere, any advice on how to clean/prevent?

Richard Southworth
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on June 01, 2021, 02:16:55 am
This is normally caused by the printhead rubbing against the paper and is probably the result of a little paper curl, thus only rubbing on the corner/s of the paper.

I routinely spend a little time 'uncurling' some papers, prone to curl, before printing.  There are several cunning methods to be found on this website but I use cotton gloves and a modicum of what might be called ‘counter-bend’ to the paper just before running the sheet through the printer.  I hope this helps.
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rgs on June 01, 2021, 02:01:31 pm
It's the print head rubbing against the paper. Look in the printer settings for an option that says "prevent paper abrasion". It's a bit hard to find (it's a bit deep in the settings) but it will prevent this if the paper is too thick / curled or the mechanism is a bit worn. By the way, my Pro-100 recently died and, after extensive efforts to resuscitate it, I bought a PRO 200. It is a significant improvement on an already excellent printer. I regret wasting money on my attempts to save the PRO 100.
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rasworth on June 02, 2021, 02:01:04 pm
Thanks for the inputs, paper used is Canon semi-gloss, appears flat.  I'll keep an eye on it.

Richard Southworth
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rgs on June 02, 2021, 02:32:49 pm
It could also just be dirty. Run the cleaning routine.
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rasworth on June 03, 2021, 09:36:42 am
The only head cleaning routine I'm aware of is for plugged nozzles, not the issue.

Richard Southworth
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rgs on June 03, 2021, 10:22:19 am
There is a way to clean the rollers. I don't remember the exact name or location in the software but it's there. You can also contact Canon support. They once took me through an undocumented (I think) cleaning procedure over the phone. If you've been printing borderless or if the mechanism is a bit worn that may be what you need.

Having said that, I have seen similar marks from mine and the "prevent paper abrasion" command cleared it up.
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rasworth on June 03, 2021, 04:17:12 pm
I'll try the prevent paper abrasion setting next time I print, thanks.

Richard Southworth
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: rasworth on June 03, 2021, 08:19:20 pm
Printed another 13x19 with the prevent abrasion setting on, eliminated the streaking.  I was concerned it would degrade the print quality (fires off a message to that effect), but didn't seem too, at least to my eye.  I am printing highest quality one direction sweep.

Thanks for the tip,

Richard Southworth
Title: Re: Pro-100 streaking
Post by: jrhoffman75 on June 11, 2021, 03:31:41 pm
If you are using a PC there is a Maintenance tab for roller and baseplate cleaning.

(http://)