Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Antonio Correia on May 23, 2021, 03:38:02 pm

Title: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Antonio Correia on May 23, 2021, 03:38:02 pm
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-djtqCNn/0/fd991684/X4/i-djtqCNn-X4.jpg)
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 24, 2021, 03:35:45 pm
Oh, you definitely want to pick that up and take it home to put in your living room so you can photograph it from all sides.  ;)

I expect it's not going anywhere on its own so I would at least return to it several times to explore details of it with camera. It looks like a real treasure to me.
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Antonio Correia on May 24, 2021, 04:26:47 pm
Thank you Eric for your comment !
This is sitting in an old abandoned pyrite mine along with other items and warehouses...
Here is a detail of another abandoned tool
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Qrd48FQ/1/965f4c07/X4/i-Qrd48FQ-X4.jpg)
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: francois on May 25, 2021, 09:24:16 am
More good thing. This old and rusty equipment is a great subject and you managed to get two excellent results. The industrial world has its charm…
Bravo!
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Antonio Correia on May 25, 2021, 11:16:01 am
Merci François ! :) (I assumed you speak/are francophone, excuse me

I took just a few because the background was very bad and I am always (most of times) very demanding about them
However.. I just have found another one which I will be posting soon.

Thank you François ! :)

Cheers ! :)
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 25, 2021, 04:56:17 pm
This one is beautifully executed, and really shows the rust to advantage.
As one viewer wrote about a photo of mine in an exhibit several years ago, "Rust never sleeps!"

 ;D
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Antonio Correia on May 26, 2021, 04:53:53 pm
Eric, thank you for your comment.
I have searched for one or two more shots of these pieces of machinery and I found this one. I like it.
However, the first image I posted I now find it not so good...
One has to see the photos the day after we do them and reevaluate.

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6Kr8h75/0/8d1869fe/X4/i-6Kr8h75-X4.jpg)
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 26, 2021, 05:20:57 pm
I sometimes change my mind about "which version" or "which photo" years after taking them.

I like both of these. The second sgives more information about the setting, but I still really like the way the color in the first jumps out at you.
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Antonio Correia on May 27, 2021, 07:17:07 am
Thank you again Eric !
I had a lot of work on the last one as there were some white spots to be removed and other small picky stuff
Cheers ! :)
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: francois on May 27, 2021, 09:34:41 am
What a set of good images. This place a a true treasure trove!

Yes, I do speak french…not perfectly, though. I used to be fluent in Spanish but not anymore, unfortunately.
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Antonio Correia on May 27, 2021, 09:56:36 am
François... I was more fluent in French than now, but still able to maintain a correct and conversation without hesitation.
In English I am not that good !
Cheers ! :)
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: EricV on May 27, 2021, 06:31:07 pm
I also like the first one the best -- it conveys the feeling of rust and decay really well.  You might try cropping away a very small part of the left side, to improve the centering.
Title: Re: Old piece of machinery
Post by: Antonio Correia on May 28, 2021, 09:32:22 am
Thank you Eric but I am attached to that crop factor as I print in A paper format like the one bellow.
The white margins are great to protect the image !
I make sets of 4 organized in Folios.
Cheers !  :)

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-sFZ4xFM/0/bf303eec/X4/i-sFZ4xFM-X4.jpg)