Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on May 19, 2021, 10:59:55 am

Title: The Rise of Brood X
Post by: Bob_B on May 19, 2021, 10:59:55 am
The 17-year periodical cicadas are emerging throughout the mid-Atlantic, middle and northeastern US. I first saw signs of their emergence this past Saturday, but within a day what was one or two sightings escalated into the hundreds, if not thousands. For those not living in this area, I thought you'd might be interested in seeing what these insects look like. Personally, I find them interesting, if not a bit of a nuisance. Seventeen years ago, they just about killing a copper beech sapling that I cherish. Luckily, it survived the cicada's egg laying, and is now 40+ feet tall and growing. Yet, I expect that by the time Brood X (as this group of cicadas is called) is through, a few of my young trees will be suffering. Alas, nature.

Enjoy. Feel free to C&C.
Title: Re: The Rise of Brood X
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 19, 2021, 02:19:56 pm
The first is a great shot for those of us who haven't seen any up close.
Title: Re: The Rise of Brood X
Post by: John R on May 19, 2021, 03:44:42 pm
These are really well done, oh brave one!

JR
Title: Re: The Rise of Brood X
Post by: Bob_B on May 19, 2021, 05:36:54 pm
Thank you Eric and John. They look far more frightening than they are, albeit when they start to chorus in unison it can be deafening. (I hope to record and post that sound in a subsequent posting, once it starts, which should be in a couple of days.)
Title: Re: The Rise of Brood X
Post by: Bob_B on May 23, 2021, 04:26:39 pm
    If you'd like to get a sense of what thousands of cicadas sounds like, please listen to this short mp3 that I recorded this afternoon. It's on my Dropbox folder and is free from malware.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd4ofq5cjjpkwsd/Cicadas.mp3?dl=0