Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on May 19, 2021, 10:44:19 am

Title: Traces
Post by: armand on May 19, 2021, 10:44:19 am
Traces of Japan, as in Japanese Maple


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2505999752-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2505999722-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2505999732-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 19, 2021, 02:21:02 pm
Nice set, and certainly not the obvious way to look at Japanese Maples.
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: John R on May 19, 2021, 03:43:30 pm
I like them all, but the first gives the essence of shiny twirling leaves.

JR
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: David Eckels on May 19, 2021, 07:10:52 pm
So quintessential there's no need to explain. Exquisite.
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: armand on May 19, 2021, 09:54:11 pm
Thank you Eric, John and David! Very kind.



The color looks pretty too


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2508929596-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2508929552-5.jpg)


(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2508929568-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 19, 2021, 11:19:31 pm
Yes, those too.
But I think I prefer the B&W ones (slightly.)
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: John R on May 20, 2021, 12:06:45 am
Yes, those too.
But I think I prefer the B&W ones (slightly.)
Not so fast Eric. Not sure what possessed Armand  to convert these superb colour images into bw, but I will they are both quite good!

I have to ask, are these taken with macro lens and the Z6?

JR
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: David Eckels on May 20, 2021, 12:13:45 am
Not so fast Eric. Not sure what possessed Armand  to convert these superb colour images into bw, but I will they are both quite good!
+1
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: armand on May 20, 2021, 10:48:13 am
Not so fast Eric. Not sure what possessed Armand  to convert these superb colour images into bw, but I will they are both quite good!

I have to ask, are these taken with macro lens and the Z6?

JR

Thank you John!
As it happens all but the second in color are shot with a Sony RX10iv, with ISO ranging from 640 to 1250. The second color is Olympus E-M1iii.

I do have versions shot with Fuji and Nikon too, as it's literally 15m away from my office/cameras. I tried the Z with the 105 2.8 macro (I don't have the Z6) but I find the combo unfulfilling for the way I used it, handheld in lowish light. The colors were good but the stabilization so-so, which also made the slower focus even trickier. For example I find the Fuji X-T2 with the 90mm F2 easier to shoot wide open than the Nikon 105 F2.8 despite slightly shallower DOF. Besides not having the steadiest hands there's something in Nikon that makes me be even less proficient at being steady compared to the other systems that I have.
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: John R on May 20, 2021, 04:20:46 pm
Thank you John!
As it happens all but the second in color are shot with a Sony RX10iv, with ISO ranging from 640 to 1250. The second color is Olympus E-M1iii.

I do have versions shot with Fuji and Nikon too, as it's literally 15m away from my office/cameras. I tried the Z with the 105 2.8 macro (I don't have the Z6) but I find the combo unfulfilling for the way I used it, handheld in lowish light. The colors were good but the stabilization so-so, which also made the slower focus even trickier. For example I find the Fuji X-T2 with the 90mm F2 easier to shoot wide open than the Nikon 105 F2.8 despite slightly shallower DOF. Besides not having the steadiest hands there's something in Nikon that makes me be even less proficient at being steady compared to the other systems that I have.
Ah you have the Sony 1" sensor and long zoom, right? I was wondering how you able to isolate those the leaves and create that wonderful bokeh. Now I know!

JR
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: armand on May 20, 2021, 10:56:19 pm
Ah you have the Sony 1" sensor and long zoom, right? I was wondering how you able to isolate those the leaves and create that wonderful bokeh. Now I know!

JR

Sometimes it's quite helpful, the bokeh is unexpectedly nice.
For this maple however, it's not that difficult as there is significant distance between it and the background, if I get close enough to the leaves I can throw the background into blur.
Here are some examples:


Olympus E-M1 with Olympus 12-100 F4
(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2513212174-5.jpg)


Nikon Z7 with Nikon 105 F2.8 macro (via FTZ adapter)
(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2513212164-5.jpg)


Fujifilm X-T2 with Fujifilm 90 F2 (my favorite bokeh glass)
(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2513212165-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: francois on May 21, 2021, 09:53:04 am
Armand, keep posting those beauties (either in B&W or in colors).
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: armand on May 23, 2021, 10:54:10 pm
Today, X-T2 with 90 F2

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2527716634-5.jpg)
Title: Re: Traces
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 24, 2021, 03:27:16 pm
Today, X-T2 with 90 F2

(https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2527716634-5.jpg)
+1.