Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: David Eichler on May 08, 2021, 01:05:37 pm

Title: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on May 08, 2021, 01:05:37 pm
Photoshop (current CC version) has crashed twice on me in the last couple of days without providing a recovery file upon relaunch. I can't recall this happening before. I have been working on multilayer files that are not exceptionally large and nothing larger than I have commonly used in the past. Anyone else with this problem? My computer has more than adequate resources.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: digitaldog on May 08, 2021, 03:27:00 pm
When Photoshop crashes, first thing to try is resetting preferences.
Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: tonysiciliano1 on May 11, 2021, 01:03:53 pm
You didn't state whether or not you use a PC or a Mac, but for what it is worth, I have always used a Mac and find that once or twice a year I have to intervene to deal with how buggy PS becomes. Here is my routine, in order:

1. Close Photoshop, reboot computer, and open Photoshop again.

2. Reset Photoshop preferences.

3. Uninstall Photoshop, reinstall.

4. Use Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to thoroughly remove all Photoshop files, then reinstall: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

5. Once it got so bad (brushes wouldn't work) the only solution was to create another user to sign on. That worked, but I am too old to deal with change, so I backed up my hard drive, erased the disk, and re installed everything. That worked

My guess is that there are hidden corrupted files all over the disk that aren't removed by resetting preferences, or even uninstalling and reinstalling. Once after uninstalling and reinstalling some of my preferences magically appeared.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on June 11, 2021, 10:06:22 pm
When Photoshop crashes, first thing to try is resetting preferences.
Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

I have tried resetting preferences and uninstalling and reinstalling PS. I have also updated to the latest version. The crashes persist, though I am now getting recovered files most of the time. Not sure what else to try. Someone else made some additional suggestions on this thread, but would like to hear if there are any others who agree with those suggestions or have others.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: digitaldog on June 11, 2021, 10:32:59 pm
Mac OS?
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on June 11, 2021, 11:10:49 pm
I have tried resetting preferences and uninstalling and reinstalling PS. I have also updated to the latest version. The crashes persist, though I am now getting recovered files most of the time. Not sure what else to try. Someone else made some additional suggestions on this thread, but would like to hear if there are any others who agree with those suggestions or have others.
  11.4. Just tried CC Cleaner. Will see if that works.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: digitaldog on June 11, 2021, 11:17:49 pm
Try logging into another account (you may need to make one): does it still crash?
If you boot into Safe mode (hold down Shift Key at boot): does it still crash?
Have you tried running a free utility like Onyx to see if that stops the crashing?
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on June 12, 2021, 05:25:34 pm
Try logging into another account (you may need to make one): does it still crash?
If you boot into Safe mode (hold down Shift Key at boot): does it still crash?
Have you tried running a free utility like Onyx to see if that stops the crashing?
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

So far, no crashes after using CC Cleaner on Photoshop and processing about 10 photos with moderately substantial layering and manipulations. Btw, the latest crashes were occurring after doing most or all of the processing and trying to zoom in to 100% or 200%.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on June 23, 2021, 08:42:24 pm
So far, no crashes after using CC Cleaner on Photoshop and processing about 10 photos with moderately substantial layering and manipulations. Btw, the latest crashes were occurring after doing most or all of the processing and trying to zoom in to 100% or 200%.

Crashes started again. Just tried Onyx, as DD recommends. So far, so good.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on July 04, 2021, 04:17:16 pm
Crashes started again. Just tried Onyx, as DD recommends. So far, so good.
Nope. Onyx didn't work. The problem is back. Seems as though, after I try the proposed solutions, the problem stops for a little while and then reappears.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on July 04, 2021, 09:39:47 pm
Photoshop (current CC version) has crashed twice on me in the last couple of days without providing a recovery file upon relaunch. I can't recall this happening before. I have been working on multilayer files that are not exceptionally large and nothing larger than I have commonly used in the past. Anyone else with this problem? My computer has more than adequate resources.
Further info. It appears that the crashes are (always or mostly) occurring immediately upon opening files in PS from Lightroom or after working on files in PS that I have opened from Lightroom but not yet saved. I have recently been trying saving the files back to Lightroom and then opening them again in PS before I start working on them, which seems to be working so far, but is annoying a reducing productivity.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: David Eichler on July 11, 2021, 04:47:40 pm
I am wondering if it might be a VPN causing the problem. I seen a few comments in forums suggesting this. I will experiment with using PS with the VPN off and see what happens. So far, so good.
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: reggisnienaber on April 05, 2022, 02:23:06 pm
Adobe programs only automatically save project data if the user manually turns on autosave or connects this Adobe program to any cloud storage of their choice. I always have it connected to my iCloud when my MacBook suddenly shuts down in front of me. If a crash like that happens without autosave enabled, you could lose the work you've been honing for even five hours of uninterrupted Photoshop work. I do a lot of drawing in this program. Several times I've lost files after rendering. I've turned to salvagedata.com (https://www.salvagedata.com/) to restore original and intermediate versions of my important PSD files. What do you think about these recovery specialists?
Title: Re: Photoshop Crashing Without Auto File Recovery
Post by: BAB on April 05, 2022, 04:27:46 pm
Are you on a M1 by any chance??