Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 06, 2021, 11:15:24 am

Title: One old one and one new.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 06, 2021, 11:15:24 am
Fog and Field was several years ago somewhere in Vermont.
The big black rock on the grey rock is in local woods a few days ago. I call it 'I'm the king of the castle!"
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on May 06, 2021, 12:03:52 pm
The first one is lovely. And for some reason the tilted horizon adds to the appeal.
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: sf on May 06, 2021, 01:01:27 pm
I'm with Rajan. The second doesn't do a lot for me but the first is very atmospheric.

S
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 06, 2021, 04:18:02 pm
Thanks Rajan and SF.

I must admit I never noticed the tilted horizon. I'm sure it was hand-held, and I don't even remember what camera it might have been. This image was scanned from a darkroom print.
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on May 07, 2021, 04:02:30 am
#1 highly atmospheric, nice fog. I am not sure if that is the horizon? Land has topography, and unless it is horizontal (like the sea in the distance), it is often times not level.

#2 I also like, good relationship in the scale of the boulders, plus the intertwining trees and branches.
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Bob_B on May 07, 2021, 07:18:27 am
The first one is lovely. ...
'nuff said, good stuff!
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: RMW on May 07, 2021, 02:33:00 pm
what Bob B says !
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 07, 2021, 04:08:37 pm
Thank you, friends!
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: John R on May 07, 2021, 06:31:50 pm
#1 highly atmospheric, nice fog. I am not sure if that is the horizon? Land has topography, and unless it is horizontal (like the sea in the distance), it is often times not level.

#2 I also like, good relationship in the scale of the boulders, plus the intertwining trees and branches.
Yes I agree with this. But I do think those boulders are more like characters in the Wizard of Oz -- like an ogre of the forest, ready to come to life and ask for a toll!

JR
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 07, 2021, 11:07:50 pm
Thanks, John.
Indeed I was attracted to the Troll-like aspect of it.
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: PeterAit on May 10, 2021, 08:55:59 am
Nice! Have you thought about, in the 2nd one, throwing the trees out of focus?
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 10, 2021, 11:04:51 am
Nice! Have you thought about, in the 2nd one, throwing the trees out of focus?
That's a good idea, Peter. I've been thinking of removing completely the one tree in front of the rock, but blurring the background trees I think would possibly make a big improvement. I'll try it.
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: Leszek Piotrowski on May 16, 2021, 01:11:56 am
Eric,...

With most respect to the previous inputs,

The first appears to me to be a natural horizon., seems to me the lines emanating from the lower left side of the image,.. may indeed add to the feeling of a tilted horizon,... but for me not at all.  Still, a nice mood is indeed the best part.
Title: Re: One old one and one new.
Post by: rabanito on May 16, 2021, 07:37:21 am
#1... Land has topography, and unless it is horizontal (like the sea in the distance), it is often times not level.
Agree.