Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: greyscale on April 18, 2021, 04:36:47 pm

Title: Curious about purchasing paper
Post by: greyscale on April 18, 2021, 04:36:47 pm
 :-\ need to order some 17x22 in paper. In the past Ive received paper which was damaged in shipping. Paper was  dumped into a ship box with a sheet of bubblewrap on top-BAD!!.
Any suggestions for a good shipper?.
Title: Re: Curious about purchasing paper
Post by: mearussi on April 18, 2021, 04:49:03 pm
:-\ need to order some 17x22 in paper. In the past Ive received paper which was damaged in shipping. Paper was  dumped into a ship box with a sheet of bubblewrap on top-BAD!!.
Any suggestions for a good shipper?.
If you order from Amazon that's what you get sometimes. The most "bullet proof" 17x22 paper shipping box I've ever seen came from Breathing Color which packs the paper inside a 1" cardboard frame inside the box making it virtually impossible for it to be damaged in shipping.
Title: Re: Curious about purchasing paper
Post by: arobinson7547 on April 18, 2021, 05:58:54 pm
Whomever you choose, I think I would let the know;

When it ships badly, it gets damaged (and has to be replaced)
and there is a bullet proof method and let them inform you of what
THEY are going to do.

I little bit of prevention could benefit BOTH, the Buyer and the Shipper

Ask before you purchase.
Title: Re: Curious about purchasing paper
Post by: langier on April 18, 2021, 06:08:52 pm
Both IT Supplies and B&H seem to have figured this out and I haven't had a problem with damaged paper with either for the last couple of years.

A few years ago, I ordered a bunch of sintra board, I think 30x40. After the second box arrived mangled like the first I had to return and they offered me a discount if I'd take it, it all went back. I stopped buying from that vendor because they never could keep the board from damage. In the mean time I was lucky to find a local supplier for that project.

Getting boxes of paper delivered in a properly-packaged box is priceless and though it probably costs more, it's worth getting it undamaged quickly from a few chosen vendors rather than going for the cheapest price.

In any case, it may be worthwhile to call around and find out which warehouse (there are dozens all over the country!) and find out if it's the closest to you to give the shipper fewer opportunities to mangle the boxes.

Title: Re: Curious about purchasing paper
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 18, 2021, 08:53:21 pm
Both IT Supplies and B&H seem to have figured this out ...

I second the recommendation for IT supplies.  Many, many shipments from them and never a hint of damage.
Good prices, quality products.
Title: Re: Curious about purchasing paper
Post by: mfrohman on May 02, 2021, 04:46:14 pm
honestly, I've ordered from about 6 different vendors and have this problem repeatedly. I mostly order rolls but when I do order sheets, half the time I have to complain and get replacements. Most vendors drop ship from the same couple of warehouses so it's hard to get them to actually pay attention to this issue. I would second that Breathing Color are probably better at this because they are a direct manufacturer.
Title: Re: Curious about purchasing paper
Post by: greyscale on May 06, 2021, 01:32:15 am
Just received 2 box es of Moab 13x19” paper from Moab. These people know how to pack and ship paper!!!. I’ll be making several trips to our community recycle dumpster. In order to get the packaging paper out of my house :).
Highly recommended.