Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on April 18, 2021, 07:18:38 am

Title: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on April 18, 2021, 07:18:38 am
Taken at Elgol on the Isle of Skye, and as soon as the restrictions were eased and I could get there without breaking the rules.

As soon as I arrived at Elgol, which is about a 30 minute drive from my house, it immediately felt like I had entered into some sort of an alternative Sci-fi 'B' movie universe, where it felt like every other human on the planet had been removed and I was the only one left. I was there for around 4 hours and I never saw another person or heard any other sound, except for the constant sound of the waves hitting the rocks and a few Gannets diving for fish into the sea. It felt utterly surreal and a little bit creepy and must have begun to influence how I was thinking, because instead of shooting the grand view scenery as I went there to do, I instead started to shoot these surreal Sci-fi looking close-in abstracts instead, because that was the mood of the place and so that is what I felt compelled to shoot it seems.

Anyhoo enough of my waffle, but that is the back story for how I came to take (or should that be make in this instance?) these images.

Dave
Title: Re: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: francois on April 18, 2021, 09:42:10 am
There's definitely some Giger-inspired shapes here - Alien rock formations!
Well seen.
Title: Re: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: David Eckels on April 18, 2021, 09:50:56 am
Love 'em! Well done, Dave.
Title: Re: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 18, 2021, 11:03:08 am
Fantastic! Both of them.
Much more interesting than the lovely landscapes you intended.
Title: Re: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: degrub on April 18, 2021, 12:58:25 pm
reminds me of the heads of tiny forest spirits shown in the Studio Ghibli film "Princess Mononoke" by Hayao Miyazaki.
You can see them at 0:03 in the trailer. 
https://vimeo.com/383861470
Title: Re: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 19, 2021, 05:41:29 am
Nice and intricate webs of rock.
Title: Re: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on April 19, 2021, 07:07:50 am
The apparent oversharpening in
the second image makes it even
more alien.

Regards,
Dale
Title: Re: I think I am still going through an H R Giger phase or something!
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on April 27, 2021, 06:26:01 pm
Thanks guys  ;)

Dave