Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on April 15, 2021, 11:36:52 am

Title: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 15, 2021, 11:36:52 am
Color or BW?
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: sf on April 15, 2021, 12:56:00 pm
As it stands, I'd say color. But I think the B&W could be better processed, perhaps starting with greater contrast and lifting the highlights a bit.

S
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: armand on April 15, 2021, 01:41:41 pm
As it stands, I'd say color. But I think the B&W could be better processed, perhaps starting with greater contrast and lifting the highlights a bit.

S

+1
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: John R on April 15, 2021, 02:25:08 pm
+1
My thought exactly.

JR
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 15, 2021, 07:28:17 pm
Thanks for the feedback, folks.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: Bob_B on April 16, 2021, 08:03:21 am
As it stands, I'd say color. But I think the B&W could be better processed, perhaps starting with greater contrast and lifting the highlights a bit.

S
+2; IMHO both may benefit from added 'punch': more saturated colors in the first, more contrast in the second.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 16, 2021, 08:50:40 am
Thanks, Bob. That's why I posted; knew I could count on you folks!
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 16, 2021, 09:17:59 am
Maybe along these lines.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: francois on April 16, 2021, 11:33:08 am
I "spent" some time with both versions and the color version always comes on top for me…
Both are very nice, by the way.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 16, 2021, 12:43:43 pm
Thank you, Francois, I am leaning that way too.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: John R on April 16, 2021, 02:48:23 pm
I "spent" some time with both versions and the color version always comes on top for me…
Both are very nice, by the way.
This whole thing reminds me of a joke I once heard on Wayne and Shuster: What's you drinking? Mountain Dew. Have some. Ooo. Tastes more like Yucca Dew!

JR
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 16, 2021, 04:07:28 pm
I had to look up Wayne and Shuster, John!
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: John R on April 16, 2021, 05:30:13 pm
I had to look up Wayne and Shuster, John!
Sorry. I realize now it may have only been a Canadian show, Know what I mean eh, right eh...?
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 16, 2021, 05:35:34 pm
The new pair beat the original pair by a lot.
To me, the color one still wins, but it's close.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 16, 2021, 07:46:00 pm
I agree Eric. Thanks.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: Bob_B on April 17, 2021, 06:31:37 am
The new pair beat the original pair by a lot.
To me, the color one still wins, but it's close.
Agreed. Nice work.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: David Eckels on April 17, 2021, 10:44:15 am
Thanks, Bob. Amazing what a little contrast will do. All I did was reduce the white point using the tone curve.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: sf on April 17, 2021, 11:13:35 am
The new pair beat the original pair by a lot.
To me, the color one still wins, but it's close.

Much better, but with all due respect to Eric, I now think the B&W is a clear winner.

S
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 17, 2021, 01:27:59 pm
Much better, but with all due respect to Eric, I now think the B&W is a clear winner.

S
Well, that was yesterday. Today I'll go for the B&W.
Tomorrow? Who knows?   :)
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: armand on April 17, 2021, 10:47:10 pm
Definitely better.

As a side confession, I'm using more and more the auto on Lightroom as a starting point  ;)
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 18, 2021, 11:16:43 am
As a side confession, I'm using more and more the auto on Lightroom as a starting point  ;)

(Blush!) Me too. But I always diddle with various settings thereafter.
Title: Re: Yucca NTNP
Post by: BAB on April 21, 2021, 07:43:11 pm
too bad you don't have room for a square format with the image of the fern having more room or somewhat smaller inside the frame, but anyway changing the background of the color image to a complementary color might look the best.
Like a Purple-RED

Yellow-green's complement is Red-purple, the two colors on either side of Red-purple are Purple and Red.