Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: tsinsf on April 12, 2021, 03:58:16 pm
-
I have a new Epson P900. There are 5 print quality choices (Mac OS). I have been using the middle, #3, and am happy with the prints on Epson Premium Luster. In the slider for changing the choices, the first three have "Output Resolution Photo-1440 DPI" and the last two, higher quality choices have 5760 DPI. Please educate me about what difference the DPI makes in the print. FYI, I am printing using LR at 360 PPI, using Raw images from my Canon 5d IV {32 megapixels) edited in Photoshop. So far I have only made letter sized prints. Is more DPI useful for larger prints or when printing on matte paper? Any explanations would be greatly appreciate. I am familiar (thanks to Jeff Schewe) to PPI and printing, but clueless about DPI.Thanks!!
-
Read the two following reviews of the P900 for some answers here
see http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-sc-p900-printer-review/
and https://photopxl.com/the-new-epson-sc-p900-printer-review/
These are (as far as I know) the two leading reviews of the Epson Sc-P900 and address some of your questions regarding what print quality/resolution and the advantages or disadvantages of any choice made.
-
https://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/photography-workflow/the-right-resolution/
-
Here (Wayne Fox on Youtube) (https://youtu.be/Taho72ajXuw?t=1124) you will find that you do not need 5760 for good prints.
-
I have the p900 and went through the same process. The short answer is that I have mostly given up on 5760 dpi and use 1440x1440 exclusively.
If you have glossy paper, you will see a very slight resolution increase with 5760 mostly only visible with a loupe.
Next, there can be a meaningful increase on maximum density at 5760, but it varies, and there's consequences.
At 5760, you'll need a different icc profile and linearization curve because it will print darker than at 1440. You might be able to get what you want just by spraying the print instead.
Next, at 5760 I almost always see bronzing on non-matte papers. To get rid of that, you have spray the print. If the paper is too glossy, the spray might not go on evenly enough for you and it will definitely change the sheen. For me this equation means that 5760 is not usable on glossy papers, which is exactly where you'd think it would be most beneficial.
So by default, I just stick with 1440 with black enhance on. If I know I'm going to spray the print anyway, then 5760 is an option.