Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on April 09, 2021, 11:52:13 am

Title: An Experiment
Post by: David Eckels on April 09, 2021, 11:52:13 am
C&C
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 09, 2021, 02:13:36 pm
Has Arizona legalized recreational drugs?
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: David Eckels on April 09, 2021, 03:42:06 pm
Just recently!
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 09, 2021, 03:44:11 pm
I can see ;)
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: degrub on April 09, 2021, 08:13:29 pm
You are on a “golden hour” streak i see.  :)

Not uniformly orange enough for me. Too many greys and tans in the grass to my eyes.
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: John R on April 09, 2021, 08:27:38 pm
You are on a “golden hour” streak i see.  :)

Not uniformly orange enough for me. Too many greys and tans in the grass to my eyes.
Maybe golden-hourish, but looks overdone to me.

JR
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: David Eckels on April 09, 2021, 08:37:39 pm
I can see ;)
Slobodan, glad your vision has returned.
You are on a “golden hour” streak i see.  :)
Best time to shoot, no?  ;)
Maybe golden-hourish, but looks overdone to me.
Thanks, John
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 10, 2021, 03:43:47 am
“An Experimenr” is not enough. What kind of experiment? Psychedelic? Copy & Paste? Collage? Content-Aware Fill?

Btw, it does look interesting and pleasing esthetically.
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: David Eckels on April 10, 2021, 11:15:51 am
Thanks, Slobodan. I was actually testing these waters: "If it needs explanation, it's not a good image." Or words to that effect.
I saw these red desert thingies all over the park and they were intriguing for some reason. When I cam across these with side lighting and black shadow background, I captured at 200 mm, f/16 from ~30ft away. My DOF was disappointing, shooting into the middle of the bunch as I was,  and I felt the entire frame was too distracting. So, I cropped way down, ~20% or original frame and applied Topaz Sharpen AI. The light was what it was, but I did pump the vibrance and saturation some (30/15). Maybe a little too much, but I liked it at the time. When I was working on it, I was thinking of your "Pollack" photo from a couple months ago; I don't usually go in for these pattern type images because of their busyness and I am not very confident in making them work esthetically. I also flipped it horizontally because I like that one flower positioned at the edge of the upper right corner--a little dynamic tension maybe?
So, psychedelic is pretty valid. Over done may be, too. Stylistically, I think it is not quite dialed in yet, and that is why I posted as is. It was, after all, an experiment  ;)
The feedback is VERY MUCH appreciated. Maybe I'll post my "final" take on it.
Title: Re: An Experiment
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 10, 2021, 06:12:28 pm
Definitely worth some more effort.