Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mcbroomf on April 07, 2021, 07:58:15 am

Title: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: mcbroomf on April 07, 2021, 07:58:15 am
This maybe something that many people know.  If not I hope this is useful.

When I had the head on my Epson P8000 replaced last year the tech showed me how a blue LED flashlight made it easy to see the yellow nozzle pattern.  It works under dim lighting (ie not too effective in full daylight) but made it really easy to see the otherwise rather washed out yellow stripes.  I planned to buy a blue LED flashlight but spinning the little colour wheel in my head it occurred to me that red and green leds might be able to enhance the light cyan and magentas.  So my initial thought was to find 3 LED flashlights, RGB, one for each colour, but looking around I found one on Amazon that has all 3 colours as well as white.  You just cycle through them by partially pressing the back button.

It works pretty well and as I run my nozzle pattern early in the morning the house isn't too bright and I'm always able to see the patterns enhanced by the colour LED.

I think you get an idea from the attachment although it seems that the camera does a better job than my eyes.  The green is clearer (for VLM) than I see for example.  I'd say that the green has the weakest effect (on the VLM) but it's still worth having.  Nothing helps with the LLK I'm afraid.

When I started using this LED I had cataracts in both eyes, one being almost useless as the contrast was so low.  I've had both done now but I still find the LED very effective.

Mike
Title: Re: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: JRSmit on April 07, 2021, 10:21:59 am
What you probably observe is the plot spectrum of LED in the green-blue part, probably in combination with its Bert strong point source behaviour, triggering unusual reflections.
In the green-blue part led's have very strong dip in emission, thus no colour observed.
Title: Re: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: Doug Gray on April 07, 2021, 04:41:45 pm
This maybe something that many people know.  If not I hope this is useful.

When I had the head on my Epson P8000 replaced last year the tech showed me how a blue LED flashlight made it easy to see the yellow nozzle pattern.  It works under dim lighting (ie not too effective in full daylight) but made it really easy to see the otherwise rather washed out yellow stripes.  I planned to buy a blue LED flashlight but spinning the little colour wheel in my head it occurred to me that red and green leds might be able to enhance the light cyan and magentas.  So my initial thought was to find 3 LED flashlights, RGB, one for each colour, but looking around I found one on Amazon that has all 3 colours as well as white.  You just cycle through them by partially pressing the back button.

It works pretty well and as I run my nozzle pattern early in the morning the house isn't too bright and I'm always able to see the patterns enhanced by the colour LED.

I think you get an idea from the attachment although it seems that the camera does a better job than my eyes.  The green is clearer (for VLM) than I see for example.  I'd say that the green has the weakest effect (on the VLM) but it's still worth having.  Nothing helps with the LLK I'm afraid.

When I started using this LED I had cataracts in both eyes, one being almost useless as the contrast was so low.  I've had both done now but I still find the LED very effective.

Mike
This is a great technique because missing pixels stand out. Especially the yellow. I have an LED desk lamp that does a similar thing.

As for LLK, those are hard to see. Generally a bright light is sufficient.

Prior to the LED lamp, I would often scan the sheet then use Photoshop to enhance contrast. Made it easy to see but the LED approach is faster.
Title: Re: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: mcbroomf on April 08, 2021, 06:16:31 am
This is a great technique because missing pixels stand out. Especially the yellow. I have an LED desk lamp that does a similar thing.

As for LLK, those are hard to see. Generally a bright light is sufficient.

Prior to the LED lamp, I would often scan the sheet then use Photoshop to enhance contrast. Made it easy to see but the LED approach is faster.

I started using one of those credit card sized magnifiers for the LLK.  Checking that section with the LED (on white light setting) held to light the paper at a glancing angle makes it a pretty easy and quick check.
Title: Re: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: MfAlab on June 10, 2021, 04:02:44 am
Yes, it's a great way for nozzle checking. I use a small color+white LED video background light to check yellow / light cyan / light magenta / light gray ink.
Title: Re: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: mearussi on June 10, 2021, 11:04:02 am
A UV light also works well to check the yellow pattern.
Title: Re: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: nirpat89 on June 10, 2021, 02:02:54 pm
A UV light also works well to check the yellow pattern.

So does a simple loupe or a magnifying glass or iPhone in magnifying mode.
Title: Re: Epson nozzle pattern with RGB LED
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on June 10, 2021, 02:14:02 pm
A UV light also works well to check the yellow pattern.

+1

Ernst, op de lei getypt.