Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: John V. on March 29, 2021, 05:07:12 pm

Title: P7000 cleaning cycles ridiculous
Post by: John V. on March 29, 2021, 05:07:12 pm
Hi all, is there any way I can stop my p7000 from running auto cleaning cycles upon wakeup/power on? I have all the auto cleaning settings disabled, but the printer still runs a cleaning cycle... every... single... time it wakes up. Only started doing this about a month ago. I'm tired of wasting ink, especially since the machine id only used occasionally.

Thanks,
John V.
Title: Re: P7000 cleaning cycles ridiculous
Post by: John V. on March 29, 2021, 08:04:28 pm
I'd rather have the control over my printer instead of it thinking for me...
Title: Re: P7000 cleaning cycles ridiculous
Post by: [email protected] on March 30, 2021, 05:00:13 am
This often indicates print head's problems. Can you post an enlarged nozzle check?
Title: Re: P7000 cleaning cycles ridiculous
Post by: mcbroomf on March 30, 2021, 05:17:56 am
Yes, I think my P8000 started doing that a few months (or less) before showing a blocked few nozzles that resulted in a head change.  One other symptom was that the clean said it failed even though (initially) when I ran a check all looked OK.
Title: Re: P7000 cleaning cycles ridiculous
Post by: Garnick on March 30, 2021, 08:13:14 am
Well John, unfortunately the answer to your question is one simple word -- NO!  It doesn't matter how many auto procedures you turn off, the power-on cleaning cycle will have its way.  However, there is another approach that will work.  Leave the printer turned on 24/7 as well as your computer.  The printer will eventually go into sleep mode.  The way this works of course is that you never have to power-on the printer and therefore no start-up cleaning cycles.  You have to leave the computer on because if not, eventually the printer will power-off on its own.

My P7000 has had an LK channel issue and I've not been doing any printing for a month, although all of the other channels are firing 100%.  I have a tech coming to take a look soon.  I'm hoping it's just the capping station, but I imagine a head replacement is in the future.  I do power-on and run a nozzle check every two days as well as a small image to exercise all of the channels.     
Title: Re: P7000 cleaning cycles ridiculous
Post by: gkroeger on March 30, 2021, 09:00:32 pm
My P7000 is left on to sleep, and set to not automatically clean upon wake, but it now does it anyway. This seems to have started with a firmware update last summer. I am considering reverting back to an earlier firmware version.
Title: Re: P7000 cleaning cycles ridiculous
Post by: Garnick on March 31, 2021, 09:33:12 am
I imagine you are correct concerning the firmware update.  On LuLa and one other forum I've seen more issues that seem to pop up just after a firmware update.  I also imagine that there will be those how will disagree with what I am about to write, but I really believe there are at least some positive sides to it.  My P7000 is just over four years old with never a firmware update.  The way I look at it, if the original firmware was good enough then it's good enough four years later.  Of course I do understand the idea of firmware updates, but I also tend to go by the old saying -- If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  So far it isn't broke except for one part possibly, and the issue I'm up against now I'm sure would not be remedied by a firmware update.  And when the tech gets here to diagnose the problem I will definitely tell him to not update the firmware.  If he can put forth a good and understandable reason to do so I might change my mind, but I doubt it. ;)

Just a thought - opinion or whatever you wish to call it.  :)